Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the situation is that I found an insane out the door price on a 10R. I currently live in CA, and the bike is in Ohio. The bike is only 49 state legal as far as I know, if it’s anything like it’s little brothers the ZX6R, and RR. I’m wondering if there is anyway to get it legal in CA?

The only thing I can think of right now is that 7500 mile law, that says as long as the vehicle has 7500 miles on it, it can be registered in CA. But then it has to be at time of purchase. To work around that Law as considering putting the bike in my step fathers name, since I’m paying for it completely in cash. Then having it registered out of state at my aunts house, then riding it around CA with NV plates for a while. Once it reaches 7500 miles, have him sell the bike over.. Or gift it.. depending upon if that is possible, then registering it in CA.

Any flaws to that logic? Cause I don’t know. If so, any better Ideas? All the help I get would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Why go through all that trouble?
Register the bike in Nevada in your name at a PO Box just over the border, and after you put 7500 miles on the bike, reregister it in Cali. No extra work needed. Just gotta get a PO Box before you head to Ohio to pick up the bike.

BC.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by bladecutter
Why go through all that trouble?
Register the bike in Nevada in your name at a PO Box just over the border, and after you put 7500 miles on the bike, reregister it in Cali. No extra work needed. Just gotta get a PO Box before you head to Ohio to pick up the bike.

BC.
Hrm. Could I do that? Cause the CA dmv website says that the odom has to say 7500 at time of purchuse. I wonder if that means if I want to bring it straight into CA. Cause if not, then I could do as you say regiester it in NV, then just simply bring it here when it says 7500..... Hrm.. So many questions...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hey, people who move from other states have to register their vehicles somehow. Look into it that way.
What it boils down to is that they want a vehicle with 7500 miles or more to be registered. Why? No clue, but that's what they want.

Bring them the paperwork that you bought it on X date, and have driven X miles between then and now, and here's said bike with over 7500 miles on it. If you need to, make a bill of sale to yourself, with the mileage on it ;) That's legal too.

BC.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought a 2001 Indian in Nev.(Las Vegas). I have a freind there and reg. it at his house...I rode it in Cali until it had 7,500 miles on it and then reg. in Cali....In Las Vegas they have so many people coming and going it was fine that I had a Cali license and reg. a Nev bike....I never got stopped....but if I did my excuse was where I work has a Las Vegas office and San Diego office and I am temparory assigned to the Las Vegas office (why it is reg. there) and visting Cali....

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Actually you can get the speedo altered. Look on the internet and you will find a lot of faking tools to set the speedo to the value you want. But make sure that you set it back the 7500 down (not more!) before selling it later. As long as laws here in Germany, it's legal to alter the speedo of your own vehicule, if you are not using it to generate extra profits on selling it to someone. Just be carefull and don't tell that to anyone. And be honest to set down the original miles back when you've finished.[}:)]

here is a site: http://www.dashboardprogramming.com/english.php

I think you can even program your speedo if you make any gearing changes to read it accurate again.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Wintermute
Actually you can get the speedo altered. Look on the internet and you will find a lot of faking tools to set the speedo to the value you want. But make sure that you set it back the 7500 down (not more!) before selling it later. As long as laws here in Germany, it's legal to alter the speedo of your own vehicule, if you are not using it to generate extra profits on selling it to someone. Just be carefull and don't tell that to anyone. And be honest to set down the original miles back when you've finished.[}:)]

here is a site: http://www.dashboardprogramming.com/english.php

I think you can even program your speedo if you make any gearing changes to read it accurate again.
I would sooo rather do that than actually put those kind of miles on my brand new bike.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not worth it. I think most units these days have tamper indicators. It might also cause some problems with servicing and warranty work!

Mind you, half the fun of a new bike is putting miles on it. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Galloper
Not worth it. I think most units these days have tamper indicators. It might also cause some problems with servicing and warranty work!

Mind you, half the fun of a new bike is putting miles on it. :)
AHaha, true. Not to mention those units are damn expensive... [B)]

I have another possibility, and thats just pulse altering of the rear tire indicator. Don't need a special tool for that, and it isn't illegal to set your speedo forward, unfortunety it can never be set back. But I'd rather it say 7500 miles on it and only hve 300/400 hundred.

·
Registered
354 Posts
They actually come out to the bike (you have to have the bike at the DMV) and read theyn the speedo.......how hard would it be to borrow someone else speedo ???...just a thought

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by scum182
They actually come out to the bike (you have to have the bike at the DMV) and read theyn the speedo.......how hard would it be to borrow someone else speedo ???...just a thought
Hard, because the bike is brand new. It will take months before anyone I know will put those kinda hard miles.. If not years. Im just gonna set the speedo forward using a drill motor and a pulse on the rear tire. Shouldnt damange the speedo, and I wont have to worry about the hard miles on the engine.

Just gonna take f'in forever.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
No, just register the thing in Nevada like you originally planned on, and when you hit 7500, just reregister it.

BC.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
I really don't know how it works, I bought a 49 state bike with California registration in February of this year through a dealer and it only had 2300 miles on it when I bought it. Talk to a dealer, they might be able to save you the hassle and headaches for a few dollars.

·
Registered
119 Posts
right now i'm in ma and i have an 03 636 that i bought in MA in august... most likely i'll be going back to cali in the summer of 04, does this mean i'll have to have 7,500 miles on her in cali before i can register her? i have like 2500 right now, and i imagine i could keep my ma plates on it until they expire in december of 04, which should give me enough time to get it to 7500 miles... would i have to wait for the ca registration to switch insurance to ca or can i have ca insurance with ma plates as long as im in ca?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by yennikc
right now i'm in ma and i have an 03 636 that i bought in MA in august... most likely i'll be going back to cali in the summer of 04, does this mean i'll have to have 7,500 miles on her in cali before i can register her? i have like 2500 right now, and i imagine i could keep my ma plates on it until they expire in december of 04, which should give me enough time to get it to 7500 miles... would i have to wait for the ca registration to switch insurance to ca or can i have ca insurance with ma plates as long as im in ca?
The dmv told me today when I called I have to have 7500 miles on her at the time of purchuse, but I am a CA resident. I think the laws are probably different for someone who lives out of state. As long as you dont have a CA drivers licenses, you should be fine. Otherwise your gonna have to have someone sell you your own bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.