Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My diagram has much more length between the cars and the road is much longer. very rough paint pic lol

I included a pic of the real road from google maps, not my picture lol.

I was behind him and behind the pickup to the side of me, so further ahead when I passed the pickup he didn't expect anyone to be there, so he didn't even look. He saw the pickup in the opposite lane so he thought
noone would then be in that lane so he just came over without signaling. He looked while turning and then saw me. I luckily saw this and steered away. He went back to the opposite lane and apologized by signaling with his hand. I just nodded once and shook my head... I don't really have any sort of road rage at all. BTW, I was in the lane a long time and there was a loooaad of space for overtaking the pickup. I was driving very casually at this time...slow and very careful. I even signaled for like 3-4 seconds before overtaking the pickup at an very safe distance. Then after being in that lane for a while the cab driver just didn't expect me there because he knew the pickup was there etc.

Close one... The speed was really slow like 30MPH/50KMH then at the intersection I was slowing down anyway. He could have hit me had I not anticipated it and been in the middle of the lane. I also could have panicked.

LUCKILY I have been stressing about this a lot lately. So I was fully anticipating this... I don't know completely how to avoid these things though. Any tips or thoughts?

Hope you guys can understand this crap I just wrote.

Attachments

· Premium Member
15,847 Posts
First off good thing you're ok.

I try to stay out of people's blind spots either speed up or slow down. But never linger too long in their blind spot.

This has happened to me a few times.

I also keep as much distance as I can between the car ahead of me and my bike. In your case I would've been in the right part of the lane you were in. Pick your lines on the road.

I also have an air horn for these situations and it works like a charm.

Last but not least: never get between a car and it's exit.

Ride safe out there!

;)

· Registered
233 Posts
I work by an airport and I can tell you that I honestly think cab drivers are the worse. They have no respect for anything or anyone, all they want is their money asap. Yesterday I also had someone do this. I was in the right lane behind another motorcycle that was even with this suv's front bumper. She then proceeded to slow down and try to get behind the other biker. Well she didn't even look for me and she was on her cell phone, not that it got much to do with it but she also had a handicap lic plate. When it was happening I was on the horn and getting over, when she noticed me she threw her hands up at me like I was at fault!! She got back into her lane but she still felt I caused her to almost hit me and what I don't get is my bike has two bros pipes and loud, how did she not know I was there, along with another bike nearby.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I try to stay out of people's blind spots either speed up or slow down. But never linger too long in their blind spot.

I also keep as much distance as I can between the car ahead of me and my bike. In your case I would've been in the right part of the lane you were in. Pick your lines on the road.

Ride safe out there!

;)
Good tips. Thanks :)

I work by an airport and I can tell you that I honestly think cab drivers are the worse. They have no respect for anything or anyone, all they want is their money asap. Yesterday I also had someone do this. I was in the right lane behind another motorcycle that was even with this suv's front bumper. She then proceeded to slow down and try to get behind the other biker. Well she didn't even look for me and she was on her cell phone, not that it got much to do with it but she also had a handicap lic plate. When it was happening I was on the horn and getting over, when she noticed me she threw her hands up at me like I was at fault!! She got back into her lane but she still felt I caused her to almost hit me and what I don't get is my bike has two bros pipes and loud, how did she not know I was there, along with another bike nearby.
Shesh... That would have pissed me off also. When someone admits its THEIR fault I feel better and everythings ok. But that would have it much worse.

Cellphone + Almost drive me over + Blame me = Kick my toe sliders into her door :p

· Registered
729 Posts
Don't know what kind of a reaction I will get on this statement,but when I was looking
for an exhaust for my bike I really didn't see anything I liked that would work. After the
modifications I did and the fact that over 20 years of riding I have almost been killed too
many times I said the hell with this and ran a 2inch by 4inch long open exhaust off the
turbocharger. Needless to say if ANYBODY said they didn't know I was there,they would
have to be legally deaf!! With all the Harley riders around hear I have never gotten a complaint on the noise,as it's a different sound all together. I don't
agree with the noise pollution control that gets pushed on bikers as the sound
is just one more thing to keep us safe!!! Just my 2-cents. :)

· Registered
1,518 Posts
Similar thing happened to me last week. Except, we were pulling up to a stop light that had 4 lanes on our side (2 to turn left, 2 to go straight). I was in the far left lane, and some old guy in the lane next to me. We are pulling up to the stop light, and he didn't like how his left turn lane had more people in it, so he didn't even look and cranked the wheel into my lane.

I expected it and had a sneaky suspicion he was gonna do it, so when I saw him turn the wheel, I laid on my horn and nearly gave him a heart attack. Hope he learned. x_x

· Registered
649 Posts
lol most of my compliments come from cab drivers lol but i live in chicago..

· Registered
3,668 Posts
wow he apologized; a cab driver apologizing for doing something wrong with their vehicle :eek:

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts

Ride safe out there!

;)
Good tip, didn't even think of that.
Will add it to the riding tips thread.:)

wow he apologized; a cab driver apologizing for doing something wrong with their vehicle :eek:
yeah, I don't think this story is real. In what universe does a cabbie apologize for almost killing you.

This happened to me while riding in Manhattan which i wont do
much of anymore. F-ing cabs Im also just as shocked as Glocken
I avoid bringing my bike into Manhattan if I can. The only time I bring it in is if it's rush hour and I need to get into the city. Otherwise my bike stays out of the city, especially with the general state of roads.

On a side note, has anybody noticed how brilliant it was of NYC to tear up half the roads in the city, and for the entire width of Manhattan. They literally tore up every other street as though they would be able to repave that in a week. No way, it'll take them months to repave that shit, that's if they have the money to repave it.

What the hell were they thinking? I was driving last night and I really thought I was going to break an axle driving through NYC. Hands down, worst roads I've ever been on, even worse than country roads.

· Registered
3,668 Posts
This happened to me while riding in Manhattan which i wont do
much of anymore. F-ing cabs Im also just as shocked as Glocken
I don't even like to drive in the city; and every since I got a bike I vowed never to ride there.

Cabbies are only one of the numerous issues; I HHATETTEEEE the assholes on their bicycles that ride in a whole fucking car lane thinking their a vehicle; and they way they ignore anything else around them. Also the mass amount of hipsters are are moving in by the swarms that don't know how the fuck to walk like normal people makes it even worse.

Reactions: bubbleboys

· Registered
43 Posts
What I find funny as that some people think this is a big deal when it's a daily occurence where some of us commute. As machinethes said cabbies are horrible x100 in Chicago and much worse than the worst illegal alien.

Yes, they are definately the worst.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^I agree. I only really thought its a good idea to post this to reinforce the thought that it can happen at any time. Just good to be safe that way I suppose.

Also my first special time I almost got ran over :p

· Registered
3,603 Posts
for as much driving as they do, cab drivers are some of the worst, most careless, oblivious dipshits on the planet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.