Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really stupid..I'm just pretty new to street bikes. What EXACTLY does a steering damper do. Does it eliminate the head shake you get sometimes?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
never had a tank slapper, been riding for over 3 years now...some headshake though....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Stupid

you told me to call you that
Actually I am debating if I should get one or not. I am not a stunting type and I have heard that a damper can make your bike handle worse. I dont know if everyday canyon riding is enough to justify $400 for a Scotts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well..what's the difference..I'll explain what happened and you tell me.

I was riding a pretty straight stretch of road at about 50 55mph. The road is bumpy pretty much all the way. Well I hit an extremely bumpy area of the road and all of a sudden the grips were ripped from my hands and all I can see is the grips going back and forth while I'm hearing my front tire shaking violently. It was about 5 seconds or so but it seemed like forever..but then it just stopped and I got control of it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
From what I have heard with a damper you probably still would have had the bar shake it would have just been in slow motion and would have been over sooner. I would watch for whatever bump or groove you hit. I am thinking of one to control bar shake when coming out of a turn very hard and diving into another turn with the opposite lean angle. I have not had a problem with this yet but I hear that if you do you are probably gonna need some new body work or worse yet a high side sends you flyin.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea..the worst part was I had just gotten the bike back that day from an accident back in July. So ever since then I've been hesitant about tight turns and bumpy roads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.