Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

That is my brake rearset bracket.
Notice how the bottom one is broken off.
I don't have the piece that broke off'; it's somewhere in the grass at NJMP Lightning along with my brake lever, which is easier to fix.

****** already told me that I could get it TIG welded, filled up, build it up, grind the face flat until it's on the same plane as the other one, bolt the rearset and use it to line up the hole, center punch it, drill and tap it.

I called up Triumph trying to find out what the frame was made of and they wouldn't tell me. I'm assuming 6061 aluminum since it seems pretty common but I have no idea. I know it's an aluminum frame for sure.

According to some welder forum I found online, a lot of them use 5356 aluminum when welding with 6061 albeit, the question posed didn't seem to include filling up a bracket with just filler metal.

Also there was mention about anodizing.

I'm starting to get a bit confused and need some more guidance.

How bad is it if we use a different aluminum to "fill" a bracket out of nothing? Will it stand up to vibrations? It's not like most of the weight will be pulling away from the bracket. If anything, when you put weight on the bracket, the weight is being pushed towards the frame. The bracket that is being fabbed just holds the bolt steady as opposed to bearing significant weight or at least that's how it seems.

I just need more detailed instructions

Thanks for any help

FYI the rest of the frame is perfect, isn't bent or anything. The bracket just broke off so I don't want to spend the kind of money getting a new frame when it's perfectly fine.

The bracket is an integral part of the frame. What it seems like is that pieces of the frame were welded together and that is what forms the main frame.

·
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks newbie,
Sent the guy a PM. Hopefully he responds. I actually just opened up my own thread on there as well. I'm a member there.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
FYI the rest of the frame is perfect, isn't bent or anything. The bracket just broke off so I don't want to spend the kind of money getting a new frame when it's perfectly fine.
C'mon Newbie :rolleyes:

******'s method seems like the strongest way to do it. I found this article that explains 4043 or 5356 filler should be used for 6061 Aluminum to avoid "hot-cracking" and maintain a strong weld. I would think this would apply in this case for repairing your bracket.

http://www.indalco.com/Resources/enewsletter.aspx

Then again I am no welder but I do like to read. :p

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
C'mon Newbie :rolleyes:

******'s method seems like the strongest way to do it. I found this article that explains 4043 or 5356 filler should be used for 6061 Aluminum to avoid "hot-cracking" and maintain a strong weld. I would think this would apply in this case for repairing your bracket.

ARC - Superior Welding Techniques

Then again I am no welder but I do like to read. :p
I saw that but if you read it again you would see this:

I don't want to spend the kind of money getting a new frame when it's perfectly fine.

If it were perfectly fine he wouldn't have started this thread.

Just giving him more options!

·
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys, especially Marcismo with the most excellent link.
That link is exactly what needs to be done to my bike, except on the other side and the bottom bracket, but no difference whatsoever.

I talked with a few more people and this is what I found out
Frame is probably 6061 aluminum or at least in the 6XXX series.

From what I'm hearing from a lot of people somewhat familiar with it, it's a fairly simple repair. Any competent welder should have absolutely no problem with the weld as it's simple, right out in the open, etc.

·
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's JB Weld?

nvm, is that safe?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
hell no!

·
13,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Noted :lol:

When I did my quick read up on JB weld, it said "strong as steel".

I have no real technical knowledge so you guys will have to excuse my retarded responses.
BTW my favorite weld is ham.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
JB Weld and Duct tape is all you need to fix anything

-Cody

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
And a wonder bar.

·
Registered