Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently dropped off my lower fairing at the local paint and body shop to get it painted to match the rest of the bike. I even ordered the paint directly from colorite.com so i could make sure i got the right pigment. For some reason when they painted it though it turned out UT orange. They sanded and painted it twice with two completely different cans of color and it still turned out the same way! And i know they know what their doing. I had my tank repainted there two years ago and it came out fine. Has anyone else had this problem? If you've had yours painted please post what shop and a number so i can call and get some advice for my local guys. This is killng me!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
were they putting the right primer down etc? That'll affect the final outcome of the colour.
Also remember, if you've had your bike in the sun for a while, the paint would have changed shade from the UV, so matching a shade or so out from 'stock' may also be making things difficult

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Post a pic if you can. All of us red owners would like to see it. I'm about to get some colorite to cover up a major scratch on the rear cowl.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here's a pic of bike pic-with Color Rite paint-as far as the Pearl Magma Red (PMR) goes. I bought my bike flipped-so it had several areas of rash and lot's of minor parts to replace.

On the riders left side fairing-basically below and also below and behind the "Ninja" sticker was a couple pretty impressive rash marks. So I pulled that fairing and "patched" those two spots with Color-Rite. Problem was, it came out a little dark and now instead of rashes I had two darker PMR rectangles-so I just painted the entire panel. In the sun I'd call it a 95% match-but bottom line is-the factory paint has faded and I can't match it-so I was better off painting the entire panel.

Obviously, I've painted the entire bike-and my rather unusual scheme (I had a blank canvas to start with-what can I say...) makes it pretty tough to tell it's not a perfect match.

My best guess for your "rocky top" results are this: The PMR combo is primer, basecoat, color coat, clear coat. I experimented quite a bit and if a guy just shot primer, basecoat, clear coat-you'd get Volunteer Orange. The color coat is kinda a pink, if you can believe that-and it brings it back to where it needs to be.

I did all this at home in my garage with rattle cans from Color-Rite and then some other colors from a local parts store-so I know it's not anything your body shop can't handle.

Here's a pic of that fixed side-I can send you an email if you want of an up close shot-I'll have to take it-but whatever, let me know. Good luck!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the tops a perfect shade of factory color. Been in either a garage or shop it's whole life. I dont really get it. I bought exactly what THE SHOP bought last time when they painted my tank. Now for some reason though the bottom goes from looking like the bike above to straight UT Orange. The owner of the shop works there and is painting it himself now so we will see what happens. All i know is it wasn't a mixup by colorite cause the exact same color came from two different cans of base and top. For Magma, from colorite, it calls for a base coat (MH1415) and top coat (MH3415). The last batch they sent was a fresh mix. Anways, if it wont come out with him mixing it himself and playing with it i guess i'll just go high gloss black on the bottom. Anyone have a pic of that?!?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Another thing for you to think about if you paint the entire lower PMR is rock chips. You can kinda see it in my picture-but I shot the bottom graphite gray to match what I did on the front fender and the other gray parts of the bike-it's easy to repair and the dark doesn't show the rock chips as easy. You gotta figure that those chips are just part of riding.

It sounds like your body shop guy will probably get it right. Good luck-If it doesn't work out, basically any dark gray or black on your lower will look real nice against the PMR colors for the rest of the bike. Heck you may even decide to shake it up a little and carry the red down a little and the rest black. Or a subtle design with graphite gray metallic and black....who knows. Whatever you do-post up a pic-I'd love to see it.

Again-good luck-I hope it goes well for you.:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as for now nothing. Body shop cant figure out how to get the perfect match. So far he's tryed 6 differnt shoots with all sorts of base coats and color combos and nothing even close. Last step is to try and have the color combo made from a custom paint shop with a special camera that shoots the original paint and tells them what to use. If this doesn't work i'm just having it painted black with a serious clear coat on it. I'm tired of dealing with this damn thing. So there's no one out there that's had their factory lower painted to match!?!?! Please someone give me the name of a shop where it's been done. I cant stand this crap.

·
Registered
488 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yeah dude.. make sure it gets fixed! You don't want that t.u. orange shit on your bike!

Thanks and Gig' Em! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after looking at that black lower i think thats my next step for sure if he can't match it up properly. Whatever happens, if he gets it right then i'll post up the color combo's so anyone else interested can do it. Man this is costing me an arm and a leg to get done but at least it will be done right.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Done for now...

Well i got the parts back from paint this morning. Sucks but they couldn't match it perfect. Almost came out a rose color with orange in it. You'll see in the pics. Regardless it's painted and in some of the darker pictures you can get the idea. I'm just going to have to take it to a better shop somewhere in the metro area and get it done right. But for now it's on and looks better than the black did. Still waiting on a few parts but for now the list goes something like this:

Full Nassert Beet R exhaust
Race PCIII
Vortex Adjustable rear sets
Goodridge braided brake lines front and rear
Puig double windscreen
Spiked Bar ends
Clear Alternatives lights front and rear
Some cheap liscence plate holder off ebay

If anyone has a shop that thinks they can tackle this paint job shoot me their number.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like the direction you're going. Too bad it didn't work and they missed the color. I know a body shop can do it-so hopefully they didn't stick you too bad for the cost.

When you find a shop and you're ready to repaint-drop me a line-I'll make you a great deal on a rear cowl. It's got a white stripe down the middle-so it'll have to be painted-but you can have them try on that first and see how they do and it'll cost you less-plus you'll have a seat cowl!! I wound up with two over time and the one I have on my bike now-pictured already in this thread-is all I need.

Good luck!

·
Registered
347 Posts
cool thanks for doin that ! i was goin to paint them same color now since i seen it , i like the gloss black look better !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts