Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started hearing a noise in the motor about 1K miles ago. Sounded like shaking a tin can full of BB's anytime I was on the throttle from 5-6K rpms. I searched every thread I could find about rattles, shakes, and noises. Ended up purchasing and installing the Kawasaki Manual Cam Chain Tensioner. I tightened the adjuster until I felt the resistance of the chain guide then backed it off a quarter turn. Took for a test ride and no difference, still rattling. Since then I have made several quarter turn adjustments totaling probably a full turn and a half now. Still no difference. At this point I am getting nervous about over tightening but the motor is making the same noise despite my adjustments. Need some advice. Would hate to take her into the stealership. Anyone else using the Kawi MCCT?
2005 636
7K miles

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
there's one guy here that does. he says its hella easy to adjust compared to the APE manual cct. i'm guessing it's not adjusted rite. even tho you say u did it rite. loosen the locknut on the manual cct, crank the engine, tighten it till the rattle quits, lock it down.

good luck

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
where do you get the kawi mcct??

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
where do you get the kawi mcct??
any dealer should have it, or order it. never seen one on ebay or anywhere. they are bout 10-15 bucks higher than APE

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
any dealer should have it, or order it. never seen one on ebay or anywhere. they are bout 10-15 bucks higher than APE
hmm.. may try the HOW TO method one more time & if that don't cure to my liking then i'll likely order the one from kawi, $15 is def worth ease of adjustment in my opinion :D (seeing as its a pita to get to anyhow)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the MCCT at the local dealer, JT Motorsports. $55. Very easy to adjust, thats why i have made so many adjustments. Just undo the tank, moving it to the left and you can hit the locknut with an extension and a universal. Then all you need is a long flathead screwdriver to adjust with.

Warbuk, the problem is that @ idle I have no rattle. I have no rattle at any other rpm's other than 5-6K and its only under a load. Just revving it in neutral at that rpm doesnt reproduce the rattle. How will I know when I have overtightened?? Is it gradual or instant destruction.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
I bought the MCCT at the local dealer, JT Motorsports. $55. Very easy to adjust, thats why i have made so many adjustments. Just undo the tank, moving it to the left and you can hit the locknut with an extension and a universal. Then all you need is a long flathead screwdriver to adjust with.

Warbuk, the problem is that @ idle I have no rattle. I have no rattle at any other rpm's other than 5-6K and its only under a load. Just revving it in neutral at that rpm doesnt reproduce the rattle. How will I know when I have overtightened?? Is it gradual or instant destruction.
if at idle your not getting a rattle i'd have the valves checked for spec

·
Powerhungry
38,875 Posts
the kawi M cct is on their site. its like $48

uh...it sounds like its pinging. not the chain.

any sound clips?

might be valves or top end rattling......

but when these valve need serviced, they get tighter, and make less noise.

edit: i reared that, yeh it DEF sounds like its pinging.

how long has it been happening? try a different station next time you get gas. or a higher grade, if you already arent using it.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
how long has it been happening? try a different station next time you get gas. or a higher grade, if you already arent using it.
yea that too, i'd get a bottle of octane booster & sit there & listen when it does it add some & then if it goes away your good

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I run 93 always. I dont think it's pinging b/c the rpm range is so specific. It also doesnt matter whether the motor is ice cold or up to temp. Usually pinging will be affected by high temps, not in this case. At this point I am willing to throw a bottle of oct booster in just to see what happens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
by chance it could be your map. I Know I had some noise coming from my engine at 8 to 9 and I adjusted my map and it took care of it. Just thought I would mention it. might have just been my bikes issue. good luck man

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
it doesn't sound like the cct.

but as for adjusting a manual one, loosen it back up, tighten finger tight, crank engine, it should rattle some, tighten until the rattle smooths out, usually a 1/4-1-2 turn but could go slightly more.

anybody think maybe the valves are floating at that rpm range?

to me, pinging is more of a fast knocking. rite?

also once ran across a guy that had what he called "rattling" under a load. it was his dry, loose chain making noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey pschillman, im have a similar issue. i thought it might be the cct too but havent gotten around to adjusting it yet. if you figure anything out, let me know. mods i have are k&n, pc3, m4 slipon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did a re-adjust of the cct like you recommended. loosened the adj screw started the bike and tightened until rattle stopped. After hearing the noises it was making while loose i guess the noise i have been hearing has nothing to do with the cct. Going to a bike night tomorrow and hoping i can pick some brains there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.