Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the cam chain tensioner off and got a manual one. Started the motor and it sounded really rough so I immediately shut it down. Adjusted the tensioner more and same thing. So I added more tension on it. By the 3rd time when I fired up the engine it wouldn't turn over:(. Checked all my wires and everything looks good. My fuel is there and plenty of it. Not sure if I flooded the engine when I was adjusting the tensioner.
Any thoughts as to what it could be? What I can do to get it started?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
384 Posts
release stopper and push pin into tensioner body, install facing stopper up.
tighten tensioner mount bolts and install rod, etc. turn crankshaft 2 turns clockwise to expand or recheck timing
hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Sounds to me like you flooded the motor. I myself did the same thing, tightin it up, heard it slap a little, turned it off, tightin it more.

·
Registered
857 Posts
if it still wont start later your timing may be screwed now caused by the chain jumping a cog or somthing..when installingthe manual one adjust it while the engine is idling and give slight throttle rolls there is a specific way it will sound when you get it right...you don't wanna hear to much tick or slap but if it starts to whine at all or when u give it throttle u hear a slight or louder whine that means it is to tight and that can damage things, tihgten it just enough soo the tick/slap just goes away and make sure it has no whine...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just left it sitting in the garage till I find more time to get it going again.

Thanks for the hints.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
first thought that comes to my mind is you let it jump timing. ur suposed to tighten the manual cct by hand, crank it, tighten it with a wrech or socket till it purrs with no tick or knock.

does seem like if it jumped timing just a little that it would still crank or sputter. hopefully u flooded it somehow. good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did some work on today. Got the valve cover off and found that the intake camshaft is not in line with the rest of the motor. Got to that point and called it quits for now.
Any suggestions on how to turn the one camshaft so I can line it up with the exhaust one. I have the tensioner off so there is slack on the chain.
I will continue working on the motor once I figure out a good way to set the timing again.
thanks...
...to be continued...

·
Registered
857 Posts
it's a big job to reset the timing, when mine jumped a notch i took it in to get the timing set back, your timing may not be out make sure your crank is at the right position otherwise the timing may appear to be off when in fact it is not because te shafts do go throught a cycle...and it is pretty hard to reset the timing wth just the valve cover off just by slacking the chain and moving the cams....just givin you fair warning...it was 4 hours labour to get my timing reset...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leanlow - Thanks for the tips! I was following the manual and most of it is not specific enough as to what really is to be done. Still in the process of asking my friend's friend's friend....and so on. If I don't attempt to do this, I'll never learn.....(learning the hard way sometimes)

·
Powerhungry
37,958 Posts
are these interference engines?
i know most import cars are, are bikes too?
if they are BE VERY CAREFUL. turn it over manually, if at all possible.

and interference engine means, that valve can physically touch the piston.
and usually if the cam gets out of phase by more than 2 teeth or so they will touch.
i had a 22r(toyota) motor jump time while it was running, bent all the valves.

to be honest, im not even sure of the configuration of the valves in relation to the piston.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Originally posted by Lightmbz
Took the cam chain tensioner off and got a manual one. Started the motor and it sounded really rough so I immediately shut it down. Adjusted the tensioner more and same thing. So I added more tension on it. By the 3rd time when I fired up the engine it wouldn't turn over:(. Checked all my wires and everything looks good. My fuel is there and plenty of it. Not sure if I flooded the engine when I was adjusting the tensioner.
Any thoughts as to what it could be? What I can do to get it started?

Thanks in advance
Switch the kill switch to run ! doh

·
Registered
857 Posts
Originally posted by nevada
are these interference engines?
i know most import cars are, are bikes too?
if they are BE VERY CAREFUL. turn it over manually, if at all possible.

and interference engine means, that valve can physically touch the piston.
and usually if the cam gets out of phase by more than 2 teeth or so they will touch.
i had a 22r(toyota) motor jump time while it was running, bent all the valves.

to be honest, im not even sure of the configuration of the valves in relation to the piston.
they are interferance engines, if your timing is off and you run the bike, most likly your valves will get bent and need replacing which is quite a big job, if you get lucky you may not bend valves...the bike wont want to start if the timing is off, but if you hold the throttle open or add choke it will start and can cause serious damage... take off the crank cover and folow the steps in the manual to see if the liens are lined up on the shafts with the proper lines on the crank lining up aswell...the liens can be tricky to see i used a small pocket mirror thing to see the lines from under the frame..good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome news!!!! Took me 3 hours lining up the cams and putting everything back. Got the bike together and two short tries before she kicked in and it's all good now. Bike runs like normal and now I'm happy again.

Thanks for everyones input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.