Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys came off running around mallory park (a track here in the uk) went round a fast 5th gear corner and the front went how dont know, the bikes ok still rides just panel damage, but now my confidence is really dented and i keep replaying it when ever i go round a right hander. The thing is it never even hurt just its blocking my riding now and need to get back on form so anyone with any psychological tips or any hints ot tips

·
Registered
141 Posts
Keep riding, try not to think of it, even off your bike. Just keep taking corners like that and eventually you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Just like the quote in Top Gun, "Keep sending him up." You'll get your confidence back...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Confidence loss is normal after an incident. It took me quite a while to get comfortable after my spill. The biggest thing was finding out exactly what happened so I don't do it again. Last week I did a 3 day track weekend and finally got in my old groove. Keep riding.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
If you can bare it, there is one method that works for most people.

Forget going fast. Forget getting back to your own pace. Forget the brakes. Go slow, go smooth, make sure you're not scared shitless. Make an effort to stay loose and relaxed on the bike. Keep checking up on yourself in the middle of the turn, to see if you're grasping the clipons, holding on for dear life, or if you're relaxed and could just as well let go of the left clipon. Gradually build up corner speed again, and continue to do it without touching the brakes, without thinking of laptimes or other people going faster or whatever. Switch down a group if you have to. With most people who get what we call crash ghosts haunting them after a spill (I see that doesn't translate very well, but you get the point), this slow, smooth method restores their pace much faster then if they were just hammering on it, trying to ride like they did before.

Keeping new, sticky tires on the bike is good for confidence, and eliminates one worry from your mind, even if it's sort of a waste since you're not up to pace. I'd recommend that too, even though it hurts the wallet.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Three race weekends ago, I lowsided - washed the front - in practice. I just treated it as an annoyance, irritating, but not gonna distract me from my races. By the second race I was fine - took third place in my third and fourth races (HWSB and F-40).

Treating it like a minor annoyance works for me.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yeah, you bastard! Why can't I do that :(

I really can't afford crashing, so when I do, it slows me down a hell of a lot, because I really don't want to do it again. If I crash in friday practice or Quali, I'm down 10 places for the race. Other guys just keep going at their pace, the very next session :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm the same my pace is abotu 10 seconds off i'm fine at low speeds just get that feeling in my gut when i get that same lean angle feeling but i suppose keep doing it and i'll get over it. I try to relax and i am i just stop myself going that little bit further over just incase.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yeah, but after, ummm, six crashes, I'm sort of used to it so I loose 10 places, not 10 seconds ;)

·
Registered
554 Posts
The only thing I know is if you don't get back on that bike or another bike within 15 minutes of a crash it will take months to get back where you were. But if you go out the next race or session every thing is gravey. One time I bought my wife a quad and took her out riding. She was learning to climb hills when she stalled on one and came tumbling down. I could tell she was traumatized. But I told her, "if you don't get back on it and climb that hill you will never feel comfortable again". With a slightly deluded look she said, "ok I'll do it". So she got on it, pinned it all the way up fearing to stall again, flew off the top(at least 8' of air), ate shit, and never road again. The point is she was willing to get right back on and go for the gusto. If we would have waited a week, no way. Anyways theres more ways than one to skin a life insurance policy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.