Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's mainly the rider's skill level. generally any bike after say 2000 will keep up with any 2003 bike. unless you're ben bostrom, it'll be pretty hard to really get left behind. i ride with a 98 GSXR600, and i have a 2002 ZX6R. basically the same motor, so the bikes are virtually identical in the turns. i' ve only been riding for two years, and i rarely ride aggressive. i guess i just got experience gradually. looking back i probably should have taken an MSF course or somethin. dumb luck i didn't crash i guess. [:I]

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Originally posted by NinjaRider

it's mainly the rider's skill level. generally any bike after say 2000 will keep up with any 2003 bike. unless you're ben bostrom, it'll be pretty hard to really get left behind. i ride with a 98 GSXR600, and i have a 2002 ZX6R. basically the same motor, so the bikes are virtually identical in the turns. i' ve only been riding for two years, and i rarely ride aggressive. i guess i just got experience gradually. looking back i probably should have taken an MSF course or somethin. dumb luck i didn't crash i guess. [:I]
Thanks,
Come on guys I really want to hear more real world experiences. I must say, I am extremly happy with the straight line speed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've whooped both a 6R and a 600 GSXR, as was previously stated, rider skill comes into play, its why I love my 02 ZX6R so much

Your not living if your not riding!
[image]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/kpstaley28/sittingpretty.jpg[/image]
If she ain't screaming you ain't doing it right!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Friends with gixxer 600, 750 and 1000 cannot leave me anywhere. The 1000 can be gone on a straightaway, but the twisties are mine. As far as your buddies leaving you behind I would have to say that it is all up to how comfortable you feel pushing your bike a bit more. I am all about "riding within your limits". No sense in incurring unnecessary risks while riding on a public road. Just ride to enjoy it, not to prove anything to anyone. If you really want to show your buddies your skills then attend a track weekend where instructors teach you a lot about your bike and it's handling qualities. Track days will improve your confidence level which will help in keeping you alive in the mean streets dominated by cage drivers and will make a trip to the local twisties a lot more enjoyable. Sorry for the long rant. Just my .02

"I love your butt, cause it is just the right size to loose my boot all up in it"

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I had a ZX7 1994 for about 3 months in 1994 sold it cause my friend crashed his CBR. Then last Summer I bought an 02 ZX6R. I have two friends who have never had street bikes before but are both great car drivers. Both friends bought bikes this Spring. 03 R6 & 02 GSXR 600 Well, both bikes leave me in the turns. Is it that I have no nerve or are theses bikes that comfortable in the turns. The only thing I have to my credit, is I can pull away from the GSXR 600 2002 on roads that have slight bends and straights. I have not officially run the 03 R6 yet but I am sure it will happen. I am getting better at turns but these guys still leave me in the turns.

What have you guys experienced? If you can, tell me years ridding and if you consider yourself daring. Thanks,

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Originally posted by ridingred

I've whooped both a 6R and a 600 GSXR, as was previously stated, rider skill comes into play, its why I love my 02 ZX6R so much

Your not living if your not riding!
[image]http://mywebpage.netscape.com/kpstaley28/sittingpretty.jpg[/image]
If she ain't screaming you ain't doing it right!!!
Thanks, Cool nice knowing it can be done. How do I go about going to a track day, to get my skills up. That's my last question I promise. I live in CT.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well I am not familiar with your area but down here in MD we have VIR(VA) pretty close and also a track in SC and another one in GA. Pretty much do a search for the closest track to you that offers track days. Now you must understand that there are different kinds. Track days that include classroom and practical application periods controlled by instructors who are there to help you hone your skills. And there are also track days where they just throw you out on the track with a couple of control riders to keep the pack at a certain speed so noone gets too far outside their abilities. i would say that if you can afford the time go for the school. Down at VIR it runs for around $300. Also keep in mind that you must have track worthy protective equipment(full race leathers, full face Snell/DOT helmet, race gloves, race boots, back brace, etc...). Also your bike must be track worthy( no coolant, covered lenses, safety wired oil filter, etc...)
The school you decide to attend should provide you with a comprehensive list of requirements you must meet in order to be ready for tech inspection. Also some schools offer to rent some of the equipment like the race leathers and so on.
Hope this helps a bit. Get on that track asap and you will see how much better you learn how to handle your bike. Oh one more thing, no oncoming traffic at the track;):D

"I love your butt, cause it is just the right size to loose my boot all up in it"

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Like the others have allready said, it's all down to your riding skills. 600cc sportbikes from year 2000 (and even older ones) are so equal in performance (in a straight line and also in the twisties) that if you are one of us normal mortals, the bike is not the reason, why others are faster than some others.

There is no sense trying to hold up with faster guys in the street risking your life. Or maybe your friends are not faster, but just riding out of their limits to smoke you? Well, what ever the case is, go to a trackday. You'll love it :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"Or maybe your friends are not faster, but just riding out of their limits to smoke you? Well, what ever the case is, go to a trackday."

my thoughts exactly....

VR6-I think perhaps you have more sense then the other guys. I'm willing to bet these guys are pushing much harder than you. Infact I'm willing to bet on it. The problem is that their luck will eventually run out if they contniue to ride past their limits. It's possible that both of these guys perhaps has more natural talents then you,k but if they never attended any classes or training, I'm going to say they are just riding pas their limits, or perhaps you are just riding more sensibly.

Keep praticing riding your skills and don't worry about keeping up with the guys, worry about making your turns as smooth as possible. Enter turns slow, wait until you feel comfortable in that turn and can see the exit, then exit is fast.

It took me forever to figure out that going into a turn too fast really slows you down. I find I ride much faster ans safer when I get the bike in the proper gear for pulling out of the turn, enter the turn slow, setup the bike in the turn and when I see the exit of the turn with no hazzards in sight I start really opening up the throttle harder and harder.

you will most likely be exiting the turns at a much faster speed than your buddies maning that you will be in the your powerband sooner when you hit the straights.

I have this feeling your friends (unless properly trained) are entering the turns hot, and just assume the bike will carry then through. Problem with this mething is that it will set off yuour survival reactions which will most likely cause them to do somethign really stupid...

i'm rambling again, so my advice is not to worry about your buddies, if they rag on your alittle bit, no big deal, buddies do that, but practice beeing a smoother and safer rider and I garantee you will surpase your buddies who are just riding by the seat of their pants.

riding is 80% mental 20% physical IMHO....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
572 Posts
It all comes down to rider curving cornors, in the straights, depending on how long, it's obvious. Any bike has the potential to hnag with any other bike based on this. I bet Rossi, Doohan, Schwantz would burn all of us on teh track or int he twisties on a freakin 250. Zero skill needed on the straights!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676

"Or maybe your friends are not faster, but just riding out of their limits to smoke you? Well, what ever the case is, go to a trackday."

my thoughts exactly....

VR6-I think perhaps you have more sense then the other guys. I'm willing to bet these guys are pushing much harder than you. Infact I'm willing to bet on it. The problem is that their luck will eventually run out if they contniue to ride past their limits. It's possible that both of these guys perhaps has more natural talents then you,k but if they never attended any classes or training, I'm going to say they are just riding pas their limits, or perhaps you are just riding more sensibly.

As far as technical skill, I would say I am better. For one I am the only one with a motorcycle license. I have better control of the bike at slow speeds and I launch better. I will take everyones advice and let the skills come to me, and not push it.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Originally posted by yratellim

Zero skill needed on the straights!
Not true, mayby more skills for the curves, but you still need skills to launch your bike and keep it in the power band) Hmmmmmmmmm Drag racing comes to mind, bet those guys think they have skills. I beat my pal who has a modified Triumph 955, although he will tell you he was not trying. I was able to launch my bike and keep it at peak power even though it was only about 100yds. Perhaps if we got up to 160 mph he would have passed me, but I am okay with that.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I wasn't talking drag racing!!! I was talking crusing with your boys or anyone for that matter and hitting a straight. Takes zero skill. Not stopped at a light. Freakin assumptions! Wake up!!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts

I wasn't talking drag racing!!! I was talking crusing with your boys or anyone for that matter and hitting a straight. Takes zero skill. Not stopped at a light. Freakin assumptions! Wake up!!
Woooooooooooooooooooo Nelly,
I must have insulted you, my apolgies. :D Chill money chill.

I agree with you man, crusing with your buddies on the straights is easy, I certainly agree with that, I just did not think, crusing was a relvenat part of this topic, Can an ZX6R Hang with R6 GSXR 600. A moped can hang with me if I ride slow enough. But again, you are correct, crusing on the straights is easy and it's a great point. Can't argue there.[:eek:)]

We are on the same team right?! Team green, go green. Pal it's not personal, if it is. It's only personal for you. Just had a simple post.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
hey what bout that jacket you were trying to sell...you need to keep up with topics you post:D

Member since 8/30/02. Forget what the post count says!

·
Registered
572 Posts
VR6, I must take a step back and apologize as well. We're most definitley on the same team. I just got taken back when dragging came into the picture. That defintley takes some skill just like leaner it over on some sweepers.

Again, I apologize and understand the basis of the conversation better now. It doesn't help that I just got smacked with two stupid meeting that I had to attend for work. Damn work thing always gets in the way. Just glad I have a job for now:)

Sorry Bro

·
Registered
1,656 Posts

VR6, I must take a step back and apologize as well. We're most definitley on the same team. I just got taken back when dragging came into the picture. That defintley takes some skill just like leaner it over on some sweepers.

Again, I apologize and understand the basis of the conversation better now. It doesn't help that I just got smacked with two stupid meeting that I had to attend for work. Damn work thing always gets in the way. Just glad I have a job for now:)

Sorry Bro
Word, bro ham. I got your back. I am glad to have a job too. Hope I did not sound like a Jack ass. Dang we sound pittyful. No it was me no it was no it was me. We all fam hear on the Board. Perhaps you can ride down to Ct and show these guys a thing or two. Looking at the number of posts you know your ish. We family

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Originally posted by arturo3rd

hey what bout that jacket you were trying to sell...you need to keep up with topics you post:D

Member since 8/30/02. Forget what the post count says!
I still have it. Gotta check the search. Honestly it's a really nice jacket. It has the short race collar not the whack one. Fully lined, unlike my Joe Rocket.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
There are SEVERAL '01/02 ZX6R's and SEVERAL '01/02 R6's in my regular riding group. Let me be the FIRST to quash any rumours that the 6R cannot "hang" with the R6's or Gixxers. The fastest non-636 600cc bike in our group is a 2001 6R that only has a Yosh bolt-on and a properly-tuned jet kit. It will soundly beat all the R6's in my group in a straight line. Of course, it won't outdo my 636, but hey, that's an unfair competition ;)

I don't buy this bit about 6R's having trouble hangin' with other 6's in a straight line - the engine has NEVER been a department Kawasaki's have lacked in. And properly tuned with an exhaust and a jet kit, the '02's are STILL PLENTY FAST. Don't kid yourself.

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.