Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to motorcycles and I'm looking into a Ninja 250 as my first bike, I do not want to get anything bigger than a 250. But I am also looking into a 300, so would that be a better bet?

I am moving in a few months and I rather buy my bike than later.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The bike can make it across country but I don't know if the rider could. The 250/300 is not what I would call a touring bike.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I keep up with my maintenance to the book, so I sure my 250r would be fine for a long trip. Make sure to take breaks to stop and stretch. You should probably look into some rain gear. I longest trip I rode was 4.5 hours and the last hour was in a good rain. Completely soaked by the time I got to my apartment. You should probably look into some rain gear.

Also I bought my 250r new in 2011. Two years later I have almost 14.5k miles on it and never have had any problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also I bought my 250r new in 2011. Two years later I have almost 14.5k miles on it and never have had any problems.
Wowzers, that's impressive! I'd like to rack up the miles, but don't care for riding in the rain (so much rain lately). Do you have the stock seat, and what kind/size of tires are you using? I have 3,400 on my IRC tires, with a nice commuter strip down the middle. Everything I have read says to junk them immediately and upgrade to BT/Dunlop/Pirelli - not confidence inspiring for a new rider.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wowzers, that's impressive! I'd like to rack up the miles, but don't care for riding in the rain (so much rain lately). Do you have the stock seat, and what kind/size of tires are you using? I have 3,400 on my IRC tires, with a nice commuter strip down the middle. Everything I have read says to junk them immediately and upgrade to BT/Dunlop/Pirelli - not confidence inspiring for a new rider.
I have the stock seat still. I agree the seat could use some work but I am usually fine. I am running Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs. Stock front tire, 140 rear tire. Cost about $230 for the combo from Jason at Sportbiketrackgear.com. I really like the new tires. I ran the stock tires until they needed replaced. I got about 12k from the stock IRC front. IRC rear was cut from something in the road at about 3800. Then I put a Dunlop GT501 on the rear and used that up till 12k.

I have also swapped my front brake line out for a Speigler S/S and EBC EPFA road racing pads.

The only negative aspect of my 250 that I can think of is that I have to shift so much. I love everything else about it still.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts