Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was driving home from work. My commute is about 25 miles each way, some parts of it are in heavy, heavy NYC traffic. At one point I was going about 60 mph in 5th gear. I saw the traffic come to a dead stop So I started downshifting and braking. Being the noob that I am, I didn't make it all the way to 1st b4 I stopped (I tried letting the bike slow down a little in 3rd from the downshifting). I probably came to the stop in 3rd gear (might be second cant remember).

While stopped with the clutch pulled in, I started to shift down to get back into first, then the bike died. The oil light was on. I tried a couple of things in a panic, just trying to restarted it, turn the kill switch on and off. After about 30 sec of trying a bunch of things to restart, I turned the key off and turned it back on and it started it right up.

I didn't notice anything different on the bike for the rest of the way home. I tried replicating the problem a couple of times but it didn't die. Does anyone happen to know why this would happen?

Its a 2009, I bought it used. Oil was changed about 900 miles ago (I changed it the day I bought it). I checked the oil level when I got home and it was full. I usually take the bike to work 3-4 times a week so I do not think its the battery?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and the bike has almost no mods except for an Akra slip on, no rejet, put on about 300 miles ago. Has never died on me before.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sounds like you just stalled it with a bad downshift. With the engine not running and the key in the "on" position, it's normal for the oil light to be lit up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The clutch was definitely all the way in. I'll have to check cable adjustment tomorrow as I had already planned to get it on the stand and do some chain maintenance, etc.

A bad downshift can make it stall? Didn't know that, good info.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another possible scenario...if the bike lurched forward when it stalled, your right hand may have inadvertantly hit the kill switch. The warning lights (including oil) would have been lit, but the stater button would not allow the engine to turn over. If that happened, it's also possible that in a panic mode it took a couple of tries to get the kill switch and the ignition switch both in the 'on' position so you could restart the bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The oil light will come on when the engine dies that's normal. Wound't worry about that.

Where you sitting at the light for a few seconds before it stalled?

I've had my bike stall as I stopped at a light. I was downshifting as I was slowing down and before I stopped I pulled the clutch in, the engine died but I started it right back up no problem. I just figured the engine was cold (even though it was like 85 degrees out.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts