Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuel

I have done a bunch of readin around these forums and got alot of the information on the different fuels down, and now I am just trying to find some information specific to this bike:

Anyone had any problems with pinging or knocking running 87 or 89 pump gas?

I had been using premium (91-94) simply because as a rule of thumb in auto motors I would put premium in anything that was runnin over 10.0:1 CR , and I completely neglected the difference in displacement as a factor in detonation. so basically I just want to know if anyone has had issues with 87 or 89 in their 650R's

Ideally I'd like to get to the 87 since it is the freshest around here, don't see many people pumping high octane gas in this tiny town, but I'm too chicken to try it myself on my brand new bike, so just lookin for some experience from people who know :)

Thanks in advance guys n gals.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The owners manual calls for 91 RON, which is 87 regular in the US so that's what I use. Maybe it has something to do with the timing as to why you can use regular in it even though it has high compression. I'm not sure, it's still a bit of a mystery to me as well. It doesn't seem very happy at low rpms, but I don't know if that's due to the octane or if that's just how the motor is tuned, guess I'll have to try some 91(I refuse to call it "premium", lol). It might run a little better at lower rpms, but will that be at a cost to top end performance because the fuel isn't burning as fast as it should? But the manual also says you should switch to a higher grade if you experience pinging with the regular gas, because the quality can vary, so I think that's the general rule, I just can't decide if mines pinging or if I'm just lugging it too much, although it's running a lot better on the regular now that it's broken in. I'd rather err on the side of too low of octane because if you put a higher octane fuel in there(higher resistance to detonation), meaning it burns slower, and it doesn't burn completely, I imagine that could leave deposits in the motor and cat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use 87

I have found that my mileage actually went up a bit when I switched to 87 from 91. I get a pretty solid 50 MPG with a mix of freeway speeds and in town riding. I also have bolted on a Muzzy full system and that helped too. And even if it didn't the sound is SO much sweeter. Still need to plug the pair valve and install the PC III. And mount the sliders, and.........does it ever end?
Also, I only use top tier fuels, in my WRX and both my bikes.
http://www.toptiergas.com/

·
Registered
27 Posts
My question is can I use a premium fule in my er-6n. In the owners manual it says use at least 87 octane but it don't say I can't use higher. Also if I do use a higher octane does it potentially increase engine performance or life. Or is just bad to use a higher octane at all.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
You will see a decrease in $ in your pocket....

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm not sure it makes a difference. I've gone 16k miles on mine and used premium since day 1, no problems. Gas for the bike is cheap enough that I don't really care.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use premium in mine because one of the local chains sells Top Tier premium fuel without ethanol. Is 10% ethanol in the lower grades causing any problems, or has the fuel been around long enough that the manufacturers have adjusted seals, hoses, etc accordingly?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Put in what the owners manual says. Why waste your money?

My manual says 91, why would I put in 94? People seem to think putting higher octane fuel than what your engine is designed for gives their bike(or car) magical powers.

Be happy you don't have to put 91 in with these damn gas prices.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I use premium in mine because one of the local chains sells Top Tier premium fuel without ethanol. Is 10% ethanol in the lower grades causing any problems, or has the fuel been around long enough that the manufacturers have adjusted seals, hoses, etc accordingly?
If I knew the high octane around here was ethanol free I'd probably do the same. I don't think ethanol will cause any issues unless the bike sits for a period of time.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
As long as you're in Denver/Boulder/etc and the altitude is over 5,000 feet or so: Sure.

ALTHOUGH if you do get knocking you should go back to 87. But generally with those altitudes you can really drop the octane significantly.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Knocking occurs when the cylinder pressure is high: Say under heavy loads. So it's not going to just knock all the time. It'll do it at high RPMs or if you're going up a steep hill or something.

So if you're under heavy acceleration and it knocks... Just don't do that until you get higher octane fuel :p

And no cars that I can think of on the market call out for 85 octane AKI fuel. The reason why they sell it where they do is because they realize you're going to burn through a tank before you can lose enough elevation to have detonation problems and require 87 minimum AKI. If older cars without knock sensors can run it at those altitudes without issue, your bike should be fine as well.

·
Overwhelming Splendidery
13,553 Posts
I ran 87 octane from Shell in my 6R all year (dozens of fill ups/thousands of kilometers ridden).

If I hadn't had to fill it with 87 at some station out in the boons, I probably never would have.

Caused no problems, so I carried on doing it - sadly I'll never get to see how the engine ends.

·
Registered
603 Posts
knocking in the engine? lets say i do get knocking, will it hurt the engine for the time i use it until i put in 87?
Plenty of boosted Subarus knock themselves to death.... I wouldn't chance it if it's actually knocking. Put better gas if it's knocking.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Plenty of boosted Subarus knock themselves to death.... I wouldn't chance it if it's actually knocking. Put better gas if it's knocking.
:confused: You're talking about something with increased cylinder pressure... Because it's FORCED inducted and thus requires higher octane fuel and comparing it to something that is naturally aspirated and at elevation.

That's literally the exact opposite side of the detonation scale :p

And yes you'll hear it knocking... Well it's called knock, but it's actually a high pitched "ping" noise. I personally would stick with 87 octane in your case, but if you catch yourself in a bind 85 will likely work fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.