Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I had the dealer install my -1 front sprocket. Since then I have noticed a growling noise coming from it when coasting to a stop but I wasnt sure if it was just because it was small and puts the chain in more of a bind as it goes around it. The other day I put the bike on the stand to adjust the chain tension and I noticed that the chain wasnt centered on the little nylon guide that sits on top of the swingarm. I went ahead and removed the front cover and noticed that the chain rides on the far edge of the sprocket and seems to be binding like the spacing on the sprocket is wrong. It looks like the sprocket is made to go on only 1 way to get the spacing right but Im not sure. I dont have my old sprocket because they kept it so I dont have one to look at off of the bike. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on that, because if they did install it wrong like I suspect then Im gonna raise hell with them because it took them 2 days to do it in the first place.

·
Registered
374 Posts
[:+1] Take the front sprocket cover off and your rear chain guard and look down the chainline from the rear tire toward the front. Since you know the rear wheel is spaced correct, if the front sprocket is backwards you will see the chain line will bend to the left as you look down the chainline from the rear wheel. Im not sure but I think the stamp on the sprocket showing how many teeth faces outward also, but I cant remember if this is the rule.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i figured but i wanted to be sure before i took it back because they are difficult to deal with. i saw the stamp with the number of teeth on the sprocket but it is a sunstar sprocket so it may be marked on both sides.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the chain is plenty tight and has been since the change. i think i forgot to mention that with the rear up on a stand i can spin the tire and you can hear the chain binding. the sound it makes while coasting is a distinctive growl like that of a bad bearing but i have verified that it isnt that. im pretty sure that the gear is intended to be installed in a certain direction i just wanted to verify that. i noticed that the sprocket has a lip on the edge of it where the nut is but i dont remember the old one having one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.