Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's actually been 6 months since I got my 636, beautiful and superb machine. But I actually sometimes miss my ex500.....is that normal? I think I saw it the other day when I was riding home. Brought me memories when I first rode got the bike in the beginning of 2002. Anyway I know that there are actually a few of you out there that started riding on a 250 or a 500 before getting something bigger. Well this is all for now. I just wanted to share that thought. Peace.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I also rode an EX500 before getting my 636. I also got my 636 a little more than 6 months ago. I don't miss the EX500 except for 2-up riding. But sometimes I wonder what it would be like to ride it again--how far it would feel from the 636.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Since you all started out on a 500 b/4 moving up, do you think you could have handled starting out on the 636? I just want an opinion. Some people on this board say start small and some say get what you want. I am just curious.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I started with an EX500 and I think that I could have gone with the 636 from the start. The big diference is that I know where my abilities start and end, and I won't take the bike past that point. Besides the 636 is a pussy cat untill you get past 7,000rpms. Micty I keept my EX500 so I could teach my wife to ride. Getting back on it is really weird. It's like driving a V8 powered mustang for years and then switching to something like a civic es. It will still get moving it just takes longer doing it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
it helps to start small. you have the power on the 500 but not enouff to get yourself in to trouble. and it give you a good idea what to expect on a bigger bike ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have decided that form now on I will NOT trade in or sell a bike, just add to the collection. I am up to 3 now. A 72 CB 350, 03 636, and a 01 Monster 600 (race bike). I figure if the bike was good enough to but then there is no reson to get rid of it!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I hear ya johnny, I had to stated off with a EX5 before i bought my ZX-6R this year and i do to miss it. But since i sold it to a girl in my area i can call her up and go for rides and jump on it when ever i want.

Cheers

·
Registered
934 Posts
Wow, sounds like one wonderful woman! ;)

I started out on an '84 Honda Shadow 500... and then thru a leg over my '01 zx6r, talk about two completely different worlds!! I sometimes miss it, but won't be going back. [8D]

·
Registered
252 Posts
I started on my '01 ZX6R... it all depends on the rider, really. Have some common sense and throttle control -- you'll be fine. Granted a 250 or 500 has less tendency to get you in trouble than a 6... BUT, guaranteed you'll outgrow a 250/500 in ONE season and want a 600 +

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by t15_roberts
I started on my '01 ZX6R... it all depends on the rider, really. Have some common sense and throttle control -- you'll be fine. Granted a 250 or 500 has less tendency to get you in trouble than a 6... BUT, guaranteed you'll outgrow a 250/500 in ONE season and want a 600 +
Sad but true.

If you have the know-how to ride something with 2 wheels and a clutch and you have your head screwed on tight, you would be fine going right with the six.:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I started out on a 250. My reasons? The 250 is not very forgiveable (due to its lightness). So any mistakes you make will be very tramatic. I wanted to learn and crash a cheap bike first. Then move up to my dream bike. And when I did crash my 250, it was very cheap to bring back to perfect condition (straight edges are easy to bondo, sand, and paint.. lol). After putting nearly 17k miles on it, I was no longer satisfied.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Originally posted by Mungla
I started out on a 250. My reasons? The 250 is not very forgiveable (due to its lightness). So any mistakes you make will be very tramatic. I wanted to learn and crash a cheap bike first.
lol

Very interesting...[:M74] You're the first person I have heard say that the 250 is not a forgiving bike and one that makes you pay for even minor mistakes.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think he meant the Ninja Board isn't very forgiving.
The bike, however, will forgive most brief moments of stupidity.
But, like everything in life, there's only so much it can take.

The Ninja 250 is a much better bike than most people realise. Change the tires, slip in some better fork springs, install a better rear shock, a Muzzy or Kerker single exhaust system, and a set of UniPod filters, and the bike is completely different than the thing that came out of the factory.

Go a little further by porting the head, strengthening the crank, and a different set of pistons, and you have a neat little bike capable of embarrassing all levels of squids on larger bikes in the really fun twisty stuff.

BC.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Originally posted by speedvlaze
Originally posted by bladecutter
I think he meant the Ninja Board isn't very forgiving.
No, he meant the bike.:D Have you been drinking, BC?[:p] lol
Not since '94.
BC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.