Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to put colored handle bars on my bike but I cant get to original ones off with the allen wrench. I am afraid that if I push to hard I will bend or brake the handle bars. Does anyone have a technique for getting them off?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The allen bolt that hold on the bar end has red Loctite on it to keep it from vibrating out. To get it off you can apply heat if you are not worried about the paint on the stock bar end. If you don't use heat use a good quality allen wrench (the ones in the tool kit aren't) and apply slow pressure with a cheater (extension like a pipe).

·
Registered
73 Posts
I used the allen wrench in my kit and it took a little umph but then I heard the loc-tite break loose and it came on out.

Loose is fast and on the edge you're out of control.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had same problem, however easily overcome by using an impact driver, relatively cheap device which applies turning motion to screw/ bolt/allen when impacted with hammer...This has effect of jarring loose from loctite/rust and keps solid contact with allen head..This is a very useful piece of equipment which has got me out of trouble on many occasions..

C Mason

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Yeah that red loc-tite can be nasty. Just use somne elbow grease. My prob was the allen wrench kept diggin into my hands. Put some gloves on and you should be fine.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Another thing you can use are vise grips -- on the allen wrench. Works fine. Just use more force -- make sure the allen key is full in before you try and loosen the bar end.

'00 ZX6R silver

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.