Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah I can't, tried it in first barely came up. Any other suggestion other than the FAQ? Get another bike? [:0]

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
If you're saying the front wheel won't lift just under hard acceleration through the gears, that doesn't surprise me. How much do you weigh? My 2003 will lift under power, my '98 was hard to wheelie even bouncing it up. Try gradually accelerating to 7-8,000rpm, dropping the throttle RIGHT off, then whack it wide open, she'll come up. Cover the rear brake though, and be ready to roll off the throttle again quick if it feels like you're lifting too fast or too far, and keep practicing. Oh, and don't do this downtown, find a deserted long stretch of road to practice on...

Do a search of this forum for "wheelie" and you'll find volumes of info... or pull up the stunter's forum and scroll through all the most recent threads. Lots of tips in there.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Most coommon wheelie problems:
Your arms are not loose enough.
Your not sitting far enough back in the seat (your ass should be touching the passengers seat)
Your not getting your RPMs High enough they should be around 7,500-9,000
Your not closing the throttle for 1 second then cracking it open again.

You can power wheelie ANY bike. I have power wheelied very old ninjas when they used to be just a zx6 and had only 80HP, and I'm just over 200lbs.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Put yer butt right back in the seat and bounce it up. Get it to about 6000rpms and let the gas off push down with your hands and crack the throttle. It takes practise but take it easy. Dont flip the bike.:D

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
you have to need to really pull back. lots of balls...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a 97 zx6r and it seems like its front heavy. Proly the engine positioning. What i've been doing is get it to 6-7 rpm and roll off then whack it. best result was a little tank slapper it lifted a bit say 1mm! Do I also need to pull back on the stick?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Haha, I have an 89' with around 70hp which won't wheelie like all of yours do. I have no interest in trying it, but riding hard under full throttle does make the front end light and a quick shift into 2nd does get it up an inch.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have a f2 96 model ,have changed sprocket ratios 4 more teeth on rear now the front will come up pretty easy with just full throttle in first,probably not as easy as 02 or 03 models though,but u guys are right i have to sit back in the seat a bit i'm about 210pounds,pretty scary at first but i'm getting a little better at it,just make sure when u are doing it practising in a reasonably safe area and good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I DONT RECOMMEND THIS BUT THIS IS WHAT I DO

Pull in clutch, rev it, dump clutch in continuous motion.It doesnt take much throttle. Thats how Ive learned to do it, which is the wrong way, probably a bad habbit. Ive only been riding for 6 months. First bike also. she comes up fast and nice. I wish I had leathers to practice 2nd gear shifts.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Make sure when trying to do a power wheelie if your having trouble that you are are giving it full throttle. That also helps on clutching up also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool, i did my first small wheelie ahhahaha.
pushed down and pulled and red lined and popped one. eventhough i'm near the red mark i can only manage a small one. practice i guess.

·
Registered
337 Posts
it'll happen for you. It just takes time and practice. I have a '97 also. The easiest way is to spend $25 for a 14 tooth front sprocket. But IT WILL wheelie without it. without the sprocket, 7 to 8k rpms; with the sprocket, 5 to 6k. Sit all the way back, sit up straight (don't lean forward!). YOu'll want to lean forward, but this keeps it down. There's no need to tug on the bars. Accelerate fast from a stop up to the right rpm's then snap it closed and whack it back open to full throttle immediately. Trust me, when you get it right, it'll come up so fast it scares you. So please be careful ninja brother.

by the way, I just bought a 900rr that will wheelie just on wide open throttle and i'm more comfortable doing wheelies on my ninja. I say that to encourage you. It just takes time, man. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have yet to manage a wheelie without one of those nice little hills to accelerate real hard up...So i have to find a parking lot to practice in...

·
Registered
88 Posts
My best advice I gave myself was to not be a pussy, and it worked great. Don't be afraid to get on it a little and jerk that thing up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't worry about covering the rear brake on a power wheelie either.
I believe it next to impossible to flip the bike using that method.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Originally posted by ob1tanobey

cool, i did my first small wheelie ahhahaha.
pushed down and pulled and red lined and popped one. eventhough i'm near the red mark i can only manage a small one. practice i guess.
Haha, I also pulled out onto a street with full throttle, snapped back on the throttle, then rolled back on it quickly; it jerked the wheel up. Others are correct; I didn't have full throttle, I didn't pull back on the handlebars, I didn't sit back on the bike, and it still did it with UNDER 70hp. The only problem is that when the wheel is up, rolling on the throttle pulls the handlebars to the right which makes me uneasy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It doesn't have to pull it to the right. You might be subconsciously pulling on the bars. Mine doesn't pull to the right.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ummm, you should have no problem. Check your seating position and make sure you're giving her enough throttle when you snap it back on.

And, yeah, I'd cover your rear brake and/or clutch. Even on a wee 599cc, one can go 12 o'clock or more (doh).

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
"Don't worry about covering the rear brake on a power wheelie either.
I believe it next to impossible to flip the bike using that method. "

not true!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.