Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,
Here is the situation... For some reason, I cant get my front wheel off the floor on my 98 ZX6R, and its frustrating as walking downtown and having a little kid pee on you from some apartment:(( Not that it ever happened to me)

I've tried taking it to 7K, letting off the throttle, and then goosing it back on, but dammit cant do it.

Do u have to open full throttle? sit back?

Please lemme know the best way to get the front off the floor.

·
Registered
297 Posts
On my 01, I can get it between 8000-9000 rpms and twist the throttle as far as it will go while pulling slightly on the bars and sitting back on the seat, or try getting it to 4000 rpms and pop the clutch while twisting the throttle. Both work for me. Good luck....BE CAREFUL:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
On my 02, first gears are easy, just like you say you do it. Bring it to 7 or 8K, let off quick and get back on hard. you're letting off to preload the suspension, so its only a quick off, then right back on. And give it some wrist when you get back on. The further you twist it the faster it'll come up...higher too, so be careful. Im still working on 2nd gears myself, but there are a bunch of posts around if you search.

·
Registered
16 Posts
;)
RobstersNinja has attached this file: file3f26112a.jpg

Hello People!!!
been reading the advice you guys have given and it sounds good. gonna go and try a few tomorrow. tries some before but nothing really consistent. (little SOB's) I'll let you all know how i get on and try and get a picture maybe.

Cheers dudes

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You could just cheat like I did and put on a full system exhaust, let kit, ignition advancer and cylinder head work......And I'm still not happy!!! But I can't complain too much.....she'll come up in first easy, but I usually use what I call a double-bounce I guess. I roll on up to about 6k, then bounce it up once and it'll come up a few inches, but the real boost upward comes from the spring back the second time. When the wheel comes back down after the first bounce, if you rack that throttle again immediately, it'll fly straight up!! Watch out newbies, it's kinda shocking![:p]

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
You have to bounce it in first?!? I can power wheelie mine in first, and bounce it up in second on two bounces, but I would never try to bounce first gear up.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I've got a full Muzzy system with a jet kit, and that's about it. My bike used to be geared -1, +2, but I changed it back a few months ago because I didn't like trying to shift into seventh gear all the time on long straightaways and the highway. I'd like to get some video of me doing first and second gear wheelies to post up and prove that even the "dinosaur" 6r's can stand on their asses:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ppl... Bouncing a decent 600cc bike in first, I think is not only unnecessary, but also stupid! the bike has enough power to loft u up no problem with out no tugging or anything like that. I noticed on my bike, even if I am just accelerating a bit harder than usual, the front can rise. How I do the wheelie in first is take it to 6-8k's, let off throttle completely, then come back on all the way just when the forks are about to uncompress, and up it comes! then, I let off a bit so I don't loop it, cuz sometimes, it comes up real fast.. So watch out. There is no need to clutch or bounce in first. Only problem noobs have is that their instincts do not allow them to w.o.t. after goin off the throttle .Thats the problem I had... At all times thou, cover back brake. I personally dont, since once u let off the throttle, bike drops back down real fast, but for newbies, just in case ur hand gets stuck on throttle, ur back brake is ur friend.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 98 and it will wheelie quite easily. Make sure you are going FULL THROTTLE up to the point before you crack it...if you're just hovering around 8K-9K and then close and snap open bike will probably just accelerate...but not wheelie...

To do midrange 1st gear sitdown wheelies...start at like 2k rolling...go FULL THROTTLE up to 6-7k...FULL CLOSE THROTTLE then back to FULL OPEN THROTTLE! When I was learning my problem was I wasn't accelerating fast enough before my crack.

Slow speed standups are extremely easy on the bike as well as it is a very balanced design. Roll at about 2-3k in the standing position...give it a little gas...and as you come off the gas bounce down on the pegs...as the suspension flexes pull the throttle back open and the bike will come up at your command...the better you get you can keep the throttle open constantly and use the rear brake to modulate your height.

GOOD LUCK! and remember even though they're twitchy 1st gear wheelies are actually both safer and easier to learn than their high speed counterparts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually for me, jus hovering then letting off and w.o.t. it will wheelie, all I do is sit a bit back in the seat. I weigh 160lb. only thing is the wheelie wont hold for long doin it this way.

yo Phil, do u feel sitdowns or standups are easier?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.