Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a last few weeks, had a great opportunity to ride with some people around Twin Cities. Most, if not all had sport bikes with sport handle bars. During the rides I have noticed that all of them were sporting the Captain Morgan stance on freeways. Left arm on the hip, or on the tank. I also noticed that we made more frequent rest stops. Is it uncomfortable to ride with both arms on the sport handle bars for longer rides?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
It is if you put weight on your hands.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It kinda is :D Although at high speeds you kinda get blowed back by the wind, so not all your weight rests on your wrists anymore :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
with just one arm on the bars you can sit up a little straighter and its a little more comfortable a cruising speeds or at-least a change of position which helps

·
Thats how I get down baby
1,287 Posts
i think its stupid and it looks stupid buuuuut i do it all the time, not really sure why lol

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
90% of the handle bars sold on bikes today are designed with the race track in mind, therefore if you purchase a sport-touring bike, or a cruiser-oriented machine you will find yourself not hating longer rides, and you will also find yourself not looking "as cool" as the people that endure this awkwardness.
sport bars are for people that bought a 650r and want the uncomfortable feel of riding a bike that costs twice as much as theirs, whilst paying far less for insurance on said bike.
Frankly i'd be more interested in putting dirt-type bars on a track-ready bike for daily street riding and commuting.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
I do it because it's more comfortable and it gives my lower back a rest for cruising.
I do this at low highway speeds.

Not to mention, who doesn't want to look like Captain Morgan :p

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
with just one arm on the bars you can sit up a little straighter and its a little more comfortable a cruising speeds or at-least a change of position which helps
I do it because it's more comfortable and it gives my lower back a rest for cruising.
I do this at low highway speeds.

Not to mention, who doesn't want to look like Captain Morgan :p
Exactly. One hand on the tank/hip and the other on the bars allows you to have a more upright position allowing for a more comfortable stance on the bike. I do it all the time on the highway. No point being in a "race-ready" position if your on a long straight highway. Gives my back a break for when I do end up getting into some turns.

With that being said, My Z1000's position with both hands on the bars ain't bad at all, but still more comfortable on the highway/cruising with just one.

·
Registered
559 Posts
90% of the handle bars sold on bikes today are designed with the race track in mind, therefore if you purchase a sport-touring bike, or a cruiser-oriented machine you will find yourself not hating longer rides, and you will also find yourself not looking "as cool" as the people that endure this awkwardness.
sport bars are for people that bought a 650r and want the uncomfortable feel of riding a bike that costs twice as much as theirs, whilst paying far less for insurance on said bike.
Frankly i'd be more interested in putting dirt-type bars on a track-ready bike for daily street riding and commuting.
After reading this, the inevitable question that everyone avoids that we come down to is: why buy a supersport if you're only going to ride it on the street at 35mph?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
so at the red light you can rev your 180+ hp next to the asshole in the Ferrari and give him a run for his money...if you are willing to risk the LEO presence...

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Ill ride with one hand on the throttle and my left arm wedged between my chest and the tank on really long rides. You just need to move around or you get stiff. I could go out carving through the corners for an hour and be in less pain then if I where to ride behind a HD at 55mph in a straight line for an hour.

Unless there on the tank or something.. if people are sitting funny on sportbikes, theirs usually a reason, most likely of which is discomfort.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
i thought i was the only asshole who does this

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
If you have good core strength a long trip on a sportbike isn't that bad. It'll never be a goldwing, but it's not that bad.

The trick is to squeeze the tank with your knees and hold your weight up with your stomach and back. You should be able to take your arms off the bars (both at the same time) without adjusting your body position.

Weight on the handlebars impedes steering, braking, and accelerating. If you need to run the "captain morgain stance" you are very literally doing it wrong.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
looks like someones mad they dont have a 600 :monkeyup:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
If you have good core strength a long trip on a sportbike isn't that bad. It'll never be a goldwing, but it's not that bad.

The trick is to squeeze the tank with your knees and hold your weight up with your stomach and back. You should be able to take your arms off the bars (both at the same time) without adjusting your body position.

Weight on the handlebars impedes steering, braking, and accelerating. If you need to run the "captain morgain stance" you are very literally doing it wrong.
i do that stuff, i dont death grip the bars. but I still find myself doing it. I don't find no fatigue or nothing it just happens idk.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
i do that stuff, i dont death grip the bars. but I still find myself doing it. I don't find no fatigue or nothing it just happens idk.

So you're doing something without realizing why you're doing it? That's scary.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts

It depends on how long a ride your talking about. If your doing 300 miles only stopping for gas before its even lunch time.. your gunna get sore no matter, what trust me Ive done it. Its REALLY bad when the roads are all straight also.

I've got good stomach muscles but by back sucks. I can let go of the bars even in a high speed corner and not not move and ill still get sore riding slow in a group.

LOL this reminds me of the air brake thing ill do screwing off sometimes.. where at a high rate of speed, I'll yell AIR BRAKES! loudly in a goofy way and stick by arms out to my sides and drop back behind someone like I was hitting my brakes, at least I think its funny.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts