Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the local mall, usually I park on the sidewalk or basically make up my own spot some where that looks safe. But yesturday I parked it in an actuall parking spot. While I was gone shopping a car must've swopped in the spot not realizing that my bike was in there. It must've hit the rear tire and caused it to fall over. When I cam out all I saw was my poor baby on the ground. No note or anything from that car. But good news. NOT ONE SCRATCH ON the bike but, it must've fallen on my foot peg because that actually cracked in half. It is still rideable though.
What should I do? I want to get just that little foot peg and not buy the whole rear sets. I looked on ebay but they were selling the entire asembley. Also It is on by rivits, so I guess Id have to drill through the center of the rivit to get them out and have someone with a rivit gun put them back on?

But I'm just happy that no scratches on the crank case or handlebar, or side mirror or side fairings. I lucked out big time.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yes you did luck out, glad to hear. See what happens when you try to park legit:D

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I beleive they sell the foot peg assembly only. Not sure but I thought I saw it on ebay.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i picked these up on bikebandit.com for like $20.00 but had to drill them out to get them to fit but you should be able to find them online these are emgo and they work fine

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
good to hear your bike is still looking good....i've always been afraid a car would hit mine...i think it's sidewalk parking from now on

·
Registered
474 Posts
You're lucky- my bike fell over in a parking lot and I ended up with a busted footpeg and a cracked fairing where the turn signal punched into it. Of course, this was about 4 hours after I picked it up from the dealer. :(

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I take it it tipped over on the left side then? Missed the pipe... whew...

Did you check your casings and your mirror and your spools and your bar ends ? Those are typically the first contact points, at least on a light tip. The fairing on this bike stays fairly well protected, especially with sliders...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it did tip over on the left side THANK GOD because I just put my new pipe on just last week.
Well, I did check everything end of the hanndle bar, bottom of mirror, crank case, kickstand base, turn signal, the little bubble on the end of the clutch lever. I was really surprised that none of these got even a scratch on them. and I dont even have sliders on the bike. I sorta wish I spent a min. to look at what parts of the bike were touching the ground. Im pretty sure that it fell over and the hit the footpeg and it didnt fold up it just stood laying on the footpeg and the rear tire. Cause When I lifted the bike back up the foot was still attached and then the cracked half just sorta fell off once the bike was up right.
I was lucky but there was actually more to the story.
I stood it up and after inspecting the entire bike I tried to start it. Nothing..again nothing. I started to get really pissed thinking that it must've jammed the gear in somehow. Well turns out I was just trying to start it in first gear with my kickstand down! I guess I wasn't thinking clearly yet from the adrenaline. So I got it started and went to put on my glasses, well they must've had some sorta deal with my footpeg, because they cracked right in half. But it could've been much worse I guess huh.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
It would have taken a pretty good whack from the left side to make the bike fall over on the pipe side. That's why the stand is on the left side and why the bike leans to the left and not to the right.;)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by tommyboynjataol
While I was gone shopping a car must've swopped in the spot not realizing that my bike was in there.
When you park your bike, do not pull far into the spot (align its rear end with that of the car in the next spot). You want to be sure that a driver sees it before turning in.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
A buddy of mine's dad knocked his bike forward and off the stand in the garage by backing into it with his car. Cost him some $1600 to fix back up. Cracked the fairing, the rear fairing bit, broke a lever and a mirror, and a rearset and shifter combo. At the same time, I set lowsided a bike once at low speed and slid, and all I did was scratch the engine case slightly, break a rearset (for which I had an extra anyway), and a teeny tiny barely noticeable scratch on the fairing. Buffed it up and fixed it to like new for nothin', and the only resulting mark is a slightly scratched engine casing. Didn't even make a mark on my riding gear.

Life's funny.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.