Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto oil in a bike......whats your take? I keep reading different views, anyone have a link to a good article.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
It's totally fine for the clutch don't you worry!

Also, the fat guy in the banner making out with the chick is still disturbing me....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ask because I said F*%# and tried it sat. After I chenged my oil I rode 140 miles in upper 90s heat and the bike rode and shifted excelent.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Been running Mobil 1 15w-50 in my ZRX for almost 69k of the 74k it has with no problems.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
not sure if it has the friction modifiers needed but not my bike ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I run Shell Rotella in everything I drive. I mean EVERYTHING. The standard stuff gets used in most while the synthetic goes in my Aprilia. I love the stuff.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The standard stuff is 15-40 while the synth is 5-40. I get it at WalMart in gallon jugs for pretty reasonable.

The ONLY oil I have ever had issues with is Castol GTX. That stuff cause two of my bikes to have clutch slippage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've used the Shell Rotella Syn in a few bikes, works good. I switched to Mobil 1 15w-50 cause they are the same price at Wal-Mart here now. Mobil shifts a bit smoother, maybe higher weight or different additives? The Mobil is a non energy-conserving oil also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is interesting to me because I've been riding dirt bikes, ATV, motorcylces 15 years. When I was a kid I would sometimes put in auto oil. Then I got to riding where I started noticing clutch slip on off road, pull it apart and the clutch was still in spec. Changed to riding with motorcycle oil and the slip went a way. Maybe street bikes don't abuse the clutch like on dirt bikes and quads and you can get away with auto oil, but from my experience it will cause some slippage so I don't use it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
15w-50 is a non-energy conserving oil

non-energy conserving=no friction modifiers=no clutch slippage

Look at the back of the bottle. No FMs...you are good.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
car oil is fine as long as it dosent have all that friction modifier crap.

but my question is why, since motorcycle oil is the same price?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Shell Rotella

I use Shell Rotella 15-40w reg stuff and it works great, 14k miles on my bike and no tranny problems like some other 636 out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts