Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of starting any more special olympic internet fights..... One important question I had, didn't get answered in the other thread wich has now been locked out. Will switching to a synthetic such as Mobil or Shell, void the factory warantee? That answer would dictate the type I choose to run in my bike.

Let the Fighting Begin!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I talked with Kawi before going with synthetic. I was told ok to go with syn after 2000 miles of breakin. It will NOT void your warranty.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
Originally posted by kawizx6r05
i know this is not what your asking and you can do whatever you want with your bike as you stated, but i would not use car oil in your bike, its only going to cause problems.
Please don't spread misinformation, thousands of riders have logged millions of miles on car oil, as long as you buy the correct type, it's as good, or better, then a lot of the motorcycle specific stuff.

And no, synthetic oil will not void your warranty, as long as you change it properly (ie new filter and correct amount of oil).

·
Registered
759 Posts
Just make sure the oil you use does NOT say "Energy Conserving" in the bottom of the round API ratings label on the back. Mobil 1 15W-50 (aka "Gold Cap") and Shell Rotella T (5W-40 full synth in the blue jug) are very popular car oils for motorcycle use. I am switching to the Rotella T (today in fact) from the Castrol full-synth I had been using. Ran dino oil for the first 2.5K miles.

Will it void a warranty? Dunno. Kawi would have to prove that your choice of oil (or any other mod or self-performed maintenance) was the cause of the damage (US law only). So if your tranny goes tits up and they determine you weren't using JASO approved oil, they may deny the claim. Of course, they've denied claims for all kinds of reasons as documented on here in other threads. Perhaps justifiably or maybe not. Lots depends on whether your dealer will go to bat for you on any warranty claim. Or you may have to lawyer up if you think it's worthwhile.

If you don't want to worry about it, do everything by the book while under warranty. Expensive and perhaps a PITA. You might still get screwed on a warranty claim regardless.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Envy runs the same as the rest of us "deviants"... Mobil 15w50 (red cap). Never look back.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy

And with 15w50 being phased out, I am now onto 5w50, which is it's replacement.
New news to me there with the new 5-50. I guess my next change will be 5-50.

Any idea if its being phased out in the US also or just Canada?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.