Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your bike was jetted for Denver it will be running way lean at sea level, not good. A good start would be to go one step richer on the main jets.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
And don't forget to adjust the idle mixture screws richer too!
BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just rode from Denver to San Diego, going from above 5000ft alt to sea level. With my bike being set for Denver altitude it now is running rather ruff here at sea level.

Hoes anyone have any info about adjusting the carbs to compensate for the altitude change?

My bike is an '02 6R.

Thanks in advance...

For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.
-Douglas Adams

·
Registered
158 Posts
SW - When you say up one level on the main jet do you mean from say a 125 to a 130 ?

Right now I have 125's for main jets - the local kawi deal advised and sold me 155's. I put them in and now it runs worse then with the 125's.

Thanks for the info guys...

For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen.
-Douglas Adams

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You bike came with two different jet sizes, 155's in the middle carbs and 157.5's in the outers. You need to keep that stagger to get the bike to run right. Some jet kits (Dynojet and K&N and maybe others) use jet numbers that don't correspond to factory numbers so a 125 might be bigger or smaller than a factory jet number 125. Since you have the 155's buy two 152.5's and put them in the middle carbs and the 155's in the outers and try that. Many bikes come from the factory pretty rich on the top end.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Everyone's forgetting a solution to this problem that we discussed a month or so ago. The Flo-Commander offers many things, and one of them is much quicker mixture adjustment. You can make across-the-board adjustment without even having to remove the carbs. In fact, if you desire, you can mount the Flo-Comm valve outside the airbox and accessible without removing the gas tank. This would be great for drag racing, and changing temp conditions or as described here, altitude changes.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Yes, you're very right. But I can't afford to install it on my bikes. If you want to pay for it for me to use on both my bikes, I won't object. Not one Iota.

Until then, I'll just keep picking up a handful of jets at a time, and adjusting the mixture screws as needed. Don't think I'll ever spend the amount asked for a Flo-Commander if I go that route, even though I compromise the ut-most extreme in performance. I can live with a compromise like that.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
SW .....is it not the opposite.....155's outer, 157.5 inner's??

Either way there is staggering.

Jason

Everyone has their own thing.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.