Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 6r with about 3000miles and a yoshi oval slipon.Someone said I need to back one of my jets out a little cause they come from the factory lean for break in. Any way i cant rember wich one he said, does any one else know.Also any other tuning tips will be greatly appreciated. I also have a 14t front sprocket and goodridge breaklines on it. Thank you Jim

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Your friend might not know what he is talking about. To adjust the main jets you change them. This requires removing the carburators. Usually adding a slip-on doesn't require changing main jets. Your can richen up the midrange by shimming the needles. The low end can be richened by opening up the air bleed screws. This requires drilling out the plug that seals the adjustment screws . . . again removing the carburators.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i had a bad flat spot on my 2001 zx6r around 3500-4000rpm and i fixed it by drilling out the plugs for the air bleed screws on the back side of the carbs, they are plugged cause kawasaki doesn't want you messing with the emmissions standards, anyways i turned the screws in all the way then backed them out 3.5 turns. worked awsome and took a few trys to get right, 3.5 turns worked the best. i cant feel the flat spot in the carburation at all anymore!

off like a prom dress!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've got a flat spot right between 8-9000 rpm. It is right on the cuff of where you would shim the needles to run richer and/or messing with the main jet. My top end pull is still good but not what it was during break-in. My bike just ran a whole lot faster after break-in and has decreased its performance ever since the bike fell off it's kickstand once.

I've also heard that people have reversed the inner jets with the outer with good results. Anyone else here this??

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP LP flushmount v's, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

96 SVT Cobra Black/Tan Vert 32V. Not stock!

93 Blue Probe GT 24V Commuter car.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I have never heard of switching the outer jets with the inners. This sounds like a formula for disaster. Every set up I have seen always maintains the stagger to some extent, richer on the outside, leaner in the middle.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have a stumble around 5k rpm, which would be the remedy for this. Shimming or drilling out the plugs? I cored my stock exhaust and this was the result. If you guys help me with instructions I am sure I can accomplish this.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
For the 4-8K range shimming the needles works. You can do this without removing the carbs if you like. A #4 washer works as a shim. You can get these at a hardware store. I use the brass ones because they seem to be thinner and more consistant.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is there a website that covers "shimming" in depth? I turn a wrench on aircraft for a living, but my mechanical knowledge on cars and bikes is extremely limited.

//SLAPSHOT//
'02 ZX-6R

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.