Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, pulled the carbs off the bike to do a quick clean and when i pulled them off the carb boots that connect the carb to the head were dry rotted and pretty much crumbled upon removal. Sucks, but they are on order and will be here on wed.

My questions are, since they will be apart for a few days, should i completely break the carbs down and clean everything? If i break them down will i need to purchase a gasket kit or anything else? I really dont know much about carbs at all, would it be a bad idea to just tear into them and try it myself ( main concern being getting the adjustments back to where they are now )?

also, once i got the carbs off i noticed an extreme amount of buildup on the valves. Is there something i can use to clean the motor up without tearing it apart?

Any other suggestions on maintenece since its apart are welcome too, 35xxx miles on it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
/\ /\ /\ /\
hey i know that guy :D

well-dry rott....that doesnt make me too confident in your o-ring's condition...

you may not have to get the float seats or the bowl gaskets-but the o-rings between 1+2 and 3+4 on the T feed fitting will probably fall apart when you take the carbs off the shaft. i think i could have re-used em, but somtimes its better safe than sorry-especially with readily available o-rings at the hardware store..the judgement is up to you when it comes to the float seats and bowl gaskets-i was cheap for now and didnt replace either and never 1nce had a problem with those leaking.

while you have them apart-make sure you take every possible thing apart-pilot screw is a big deal, if junk is stuck in there it wont idle right and it will run like shit. i cleaned mine 3 times before realising what the tamper proof cap was, i just thought it was a part of casting.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Hm.. not so sure about the carbon thing.. i'm sure theres some uber expensive additive you can get that'll kinda cut some of it out, but for my shit, usually, i'll break down and remove the head, pop the valves out and (don't flame when you hear this, cuz i never F up :) ) use a dremel with a stainless bristled brush to remove the carbon, then i'll lightly lap and reinstall al lthe harware and reassemble.

while lapping and dremel carbon removal are kind not really the thing you should be doing if you posess limited experience, if you wanna learn, you might as well do it.

ALWAYS be very light if you choose to use a dremel. move in a circular motion to the face of the valve and seats. go easy and smooth.. you CAN definitely screw alot of shit up if you're not careful with both the brush and where the collet is.. if you're porting OR cleaning the ports, and you run the collet into the valve seat, usually, yous fucked. lol..

the carb stuff we can all walk ya thru.. i have a how to on another site i can link ya to if you need it.. Jbreit or tough guy might have some sneaky carbon killer how to as well..

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\
yea i want some uber expensive stuff, lol. i dont think it being there is going to absolutly kill my performance-but i sure as hell dont want those chunks falling down in the cylinders(even if somone says it wont damage anything) maybe theres a way to put a small vacuum attatchment in there and kind of chip some of the peices off...i donno, just drinking and posting-sounds like a decent idea, maybe just a good shot of shop air...anyone know if carbon will float?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the carb stuff we can all walk ya thru.. i have a how to on another site i can link ya to if you need it.. Jbreit or tough guy might have some sneaky carbon killer how to as well..
Yeah, if you wouldnt mind posting up the link id appreciate it.

Im moderately skilled, so ill try and tackle the carbs, especially since i have the time. But i think ima leave the motor alone for now. Just have to start saving my pennies to pay someone else to do it.

Thanks much!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
booo

so, took the carbs apart, for the most part, sprayed it all out with carb cleaner and re-installed just to have the same issue as before.:Damn:

Idles fine, under load from idle to 5 - 6k rpm, it stumbles, it will go and stutter and go a lil more then quit, then at 5 - 6k, its like a rocket, takes off with no problem.

I can deal with it being powerless in the low rpm range, just wish it was smooth. Especially when taking a curve, im afraid that the rpm will drop below 5k, and ill give it gas to settle the suspension and itll stumble then rev and kick the tire out from under me. Annoying

anybody got any other suggestions on what might be causing the stumbling? Shes got a Muzzy slip on with the stock jets, could that be the issue? i dunno, im outta ideas...

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
http://kawispeed.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=384

if you're adiment the gas is good, i'd immediately look at sync, first.

after sync, if it still acts up, reset the mixture screws and inspeck the bowl heights if posible.

sounds like either clogged low speed circuits(s) or sync is off.

try that and let us know whats up.. good luch bro!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks WH, that write up is awesome.

Happen to know if autozone rents out carb sync tools? haha

I know whats goin on my christmas list...

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
thanks man!

i wish autozone rented them!! lol..
thers a few how-to's here and there on how to make em, but i like usignthe real thing.

you might be able to A. borrow one, B. buy one cheap from someone whos not working on bikes any more, or C. bite the bullet and drop $100 on the new motion pro gauge.

everyone was bitching on the bubbles in the lines, so, i went there to their site and did a "how-to" about getting the bubbles out.. lmao

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet, def gonna be sucking up to the wife to squeeze another $100 outta her for it. Thanks again, will post up results when done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts