Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(00 zx6r)Ok well I took the bike out today and it has a total flat spot from 5k to 9k rpm, it has been sitting for a bit and I added the fuel stabilizer pretty late. And rather then rip the carbs off to clean them is it possible to use a regular automotive gas added carb cleaner? Thank you all for any possible info

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thebottle,

Regular automotive cleaners do a nice job of cleaning things up, however a complete off-the-bike cleaning is far more thorough. If you don't want to remove them, I would at least drain the float bowls as dirt and water can accumulate there.

Also as far as carb cleaners go, there is BG44k and there are all the others. I have been reading about this stuff for years but could never find it at any of the auto parts stores. After reading an article in American Iron magazine on 'Gasoline Additives' where there also discovered how well BG44k worked, I was determined to find some. It turns out that it can be purchased at most car dealers and big auto service shops. This stuff will completely remove any and all carbon deposits in an engine. I know this is more than you were asking for, but why not clean up the combustion chambers at the same time. I do recommend doing this just before an oil change as some of the carbon will liquefy and get into the oil. There's no point in running engine oil with this crud for any longer than necessary. If you can’t find it locally, send me an E-mail, and I’ll send you some. I now keep in stock at my shop. You should find it for about $20.00 a can. Use only half a can for a bike and a full can for a car.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Dave... how big of a container are we talking about here?

Have you found anything that works sort of like it?

I work at a big car dealership, and I've never heard, or seen it before.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The stuff is not really carb cleaner. It is designed to remove carbon from the back of the intake valves and the combustion chamber. It comes in a 11oz can. It is the same stuff that Chevron uses in their gas (Techron?) in a more concentrated form. The company is called BG Products, Inc. and they have a website that will point you to distributors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you just pour this stuff into the gas tank or what? Would it just be good for me to do if my bike is 9 years old?

·
Registered
130 Posts
dorikin,

It makes sense on any engine except for those with low mileage where carbon is not yet a problem. I put it in both of my cars and noticed considerable improvement. Both cars accelerate noticeable faster and the mileage also is far better. On my Toyota pickup with over 130,000 miles, the fuel savings was incredible. Apparently the years of carbon buildup on the valves and ports was seriously harming the engine's efficiency. I've sold quite a bit of it, and most have noted better mileage, but on newer vehicles, as suspected, there was little noticeable change.

·
Registered
156 Posts
dave: so this is an additive that you put in your gas tank then??

thanks

to get over someone .....get under someone!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry Black,

I didn't see your post and question. I recommend pouring one half a can into a full tank of gas for motorcycles and a full can in the family car. And as I said before, change the oil imediately following the treatment. Nearly every engine I service has considerable amount of build up on the valves. It just doesn't make my sence, in my opinion, to spend big bucks on a quality valve job and then allow all that carbon to build up cumbustion chambers, ports, and valves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.