Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Can anyone explain me what carb icing is? I thought I knew it, but reading an article in BiKE (brit mag) I realised maybe it wasn't exactly what I thought it was... [:I]

Wilder than the wildest dreams!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Carb icing is ice accumulating inside the venturi of the carburator. It usually happens at temperatures slightly above freezing during high humidity. It is caused by the refrigeration effect of the air passing through the venturi and creating a low pressure area. The temperature drop is enough to cause moisture to condense out of the air and stick as ice in the carb.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see... and... would that happen in a rainy, 15 ºC (57 ºF) day on my '02 636? I mean... how can I know it is happening? In BiKE they say it feels like the bike is running out of gas... Well, sometimes I feel something "funny" with the bike, just like running out of gas. Could it be carb icing, or is it my head playing tricks (is known to happen ;))?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by swjohnsey

That is a pretty high temp for carb icing. More common would be 30's to low 40's. I would guess it is not carb icing.
I've been riding most of this winter and some mornings have been in the mid 30's to low 40's. I haven't experienced anything odd like carb icing on my 2000.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll check the fuel filter on the next service. I too think it's not carb-icing...

Maybe it's me [:eek:)]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.