Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2004 ex500. I was riding home from work and coming down a hill behind a semi when my bike started feeling odd. Really low power, idling really low and making some odd engine noises. I managed to make it home fine.

Next day i talked to some people at work here who have bikes and they mentioned that it's probably a carb that got clogged causing one of my cylinders to not work. I went home and revved up the bike a bit while on the center stand. Right side of the engine got warm, left side was still cold. I can hear the other cylinder firing occasionally when i rev up. I think i can feel some air puffing out and hitting my leg on the left side of the engine (might have been imagening this though).

Now here is the real problem.....i dont even know what the carbs look like. From everything i read people just say "remove the carbs" or "you will now see the carbs, remove them" which does me no good. The most complicated thing i've done with my bike so far is remove the battery and change the oil. so i'm a noob when it comes to engines. I do have a service manual for my bike but i recently put everything in storage and can't seem to find the manual. Don't really want to fork out extra cash for a new one.

What do you suggest? some people at my work suggested just getting some carb cleaner additive and putting that in the gas and just revving it allot. Other suggest revving really high and then covering the carb intake (which probably would be easy if i knew what the carb intake looked like). Could someone please post some pics detailing where the carbs are and how to get to them? From what i read i think i need to take off the tank to get to them. Found a step by step walkthrough of taking the tank off so i think i can manage that.

also on a side note....i seem to be missing one of my front screws for my bottom fairing, anyone know where i can get more?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can't help you with the power issues, though it does sound like people are pointing you towards the right direction. One of the jets may very well be clogged...

Your side note however, take one of your fairing screws to HD or lowes. You'll find what you're looking for after a little guess in check. Pick up some Dupont teflon chain lube while you're at it. Good stuff.

And now for my side note.
Installing a fuel filter may prevent future issues as this man, o mule. It's next on my to-do list.

Good luck MoM, I know that 500 wants to be better!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a random thought here but maybe going downhill flooded fuel into the tank cap. The suction of fuel into the engine may have been disturbed by this.
Just a thought...

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok like stated, look up a pic of the carbs. you can find it online. all carbs look relatively the same. i was a total noob once too, had no idea wtf to do with anything and couldnt afford a mechanic. its worth it start getting used to your bike. you ride it everyday, once your comfortable you can tune it to your liking.

back to carbs. get some part diagrams online. i end up using the bike bandit site just for the exploded view of parts. they have better ones than repair manuals sometimes. once your ok looking at them, and you can find them n your bike. pull them off. i have a 89 ex500, and while its older its almost the same bike. carbs are attached to the engine via a small section of hose, this is a big hose, like 2 inch diameter. the other end of the carbs are attached to the airbox or some sort of air filter system, depends on if its a stock bike or modded. the carbs should be held on by clamps. loosen them and gently but firmly wiggle the things out. once out, work on the throttle cables, get them off, and pull the carbs out completely. bring em inside, and carefully take the crews out and open them up. the bottom of the carb is the float bowl, thats the area thats most likely to be clogged or have some gunk in it. work carefully and gently, and dont rush this. carbs are fairly easy, but if you rush and do sloppy work, you cna break something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the posts and help. I've gotten similar responses from the ex-500.com forums as well. The part i'm stuck on now is the removal of the carbs. I can see that they are attached by 4 tubes. I think i can manage to get those off, but i'm concerned about the throttle cables. Are these easy to remove? what screws/nuts need to be removed? is there anything i should make sure to be aware of when re-attaching them?

Once i manage to remove the carbs i'm fairly certain i can manage to clean the float bowls without a problem. Others have suggested i spray them down with carb cleaner and use a toothbrush to remove any buildup. Sounds simple enough. I'm not going to mess around with trying to dissmantle the entire carb unless i have to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.