Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I’ve had issues with my zx6r 2001 and I’ve got some knowledge in carbs but 4 are kinda stumping me so I took it off cleaned it out reset all the fuel and air mixture screws did the whole 2 1/2 turns out on fuel and 3 1/2 on air wouldn’t start unless I had the choke on I took the fuel screws to 3 1/2 and was able to start it but won’t drive good took out the air screws made it better but I have no top end I can’t go over 40 and rpm’s seem high for that speed can anyone help me with carb specs or anything on the manual I can’t find it

·
Registered
Too many to list
125 Posts
Hey all I’ve had issues with my zx6r 2001 and I’ve got some knowledge in carbs but 4 are kinda stumping me so I took it off cleaned it out reset all the fuel and air mixture screws did the whole 2 1/2 turns out on fuel and 3 1/2 on air wouldn’t start unless I had the choke on I took the fuel screws to 3 1/2 and was able to start it but won’t drive good took out the air screws made it better but I have no top end I can’t go over 40 and rpm’s seem high for that speed can anyone help me with carb specs or anything on the manual I can’t find it
What manual are you using ? What air screws ? Fuel screws ? Pics ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Agree with Bweighmaster. What air screws? You should only have pilot screws on the bottom of your carbs. Nothing else. A good basepoint to start with on your pilot screws are 1 1/2 - 2 turns out from seated. Are you talking about the air JETS on your carburetor throats? I'd suggest putting those back in and start your pilots in the positions mentioned earlier. Or just stop and take it to a qualified technician.

·
Registered
Too many to list
125 Posts
I always start at 1 & 1/2 turns . Just sems to work better on average ... I've been doing this on engines for over 60 years . Seen them all , weed eaters to large earth movers .. gas , diesel , injected . Blown , turboed .. tuned them all ... You got to learn if you wanna survive .., Some , are better off leaving it to the pros .....,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with Bweighmaster. What air screws? You should only have pilot screws on the bottom of your carbs. Nothing else. A good basepoint to start with on your pilot screws are 1 1/2 - 2 turns out from seated. Are you talking about the air JETS on your carburetor throats? I'd suggest putting those back in and start your pilots in the positions mentioned earlier. Or just stop and take it to a qualified technician.
I set the pilot screws to 1 1/2 2 and it will not start I have to go 3 out but I think my throttle sensor may be bad but I think I’m close runs good 1st through 3rd but Boggs down around 40 but I hold my hand to slow down the air going into the air vents and it picks up I believe it’s getting too much air at high speeds I can’t find the air ducts that go behind the front fairings

1 - 13 of 13 Posts