Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jetted my 03 this weekend with the Factory Pro stage one. I ended up with with 162s on 1&4 and 168s on 2&3. I used FPs springs and needles with two shims and the clips on the third position. I went with the pilot screws 2 and 1/2 turns out. This bike runs like a scalded cat now. HUGE improvement and I got rid of the hesitation from 0 to 1/8 throttle. The only problem is that I notice a lot more vibration through the handlebars. Any suggestions to minimize those vibrations?

·
Registered
56 Posts
syncing may or may not help. did you have a/f ratio measured or was this seat of the pants? improper jetting could do it also. The Ivan's kits are supposedly very good at reducing vibs. I have read that on various forums. interesting how much larger on mains on inside cylinders. what does factory say about using different mains and how to adjust inside versus outside? I would have thought intuitively they would be smaller on inside. The reason is because the inside cylinders I would think run hotter and hot air is less dense. When I went to remove the vance and hines headers on my 91 katana so I could put it back to factory pipe to sell it I broke off 4 of the 8 header bolts. All the ones that broke were from inside cylinders (2,3), I assume because they were getting hotter and essentially welded themselves in there. BUT that was an air/oil cooled engine. I still haven't had time to drill them out! Thought about having nut welded on remaining studs and heating up block and then trying to get them out.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i think the tuning you do is a lot more important than the jetkit manufacturer... unless of course its a dynojet kit [:eek:)]

does the kit recommend to use 162/168 mains? normally you would stagger them with only one size between them, ie 162/165 or 165/168... unless the kit says otherwise

are the vibrations purely under light cruise or any throttle openings up to about 1/8th, even at high revs thru corners? if so, then its quite likely your lean in the pilot circuit, maybe try take them out another half turn. then fine tune with 1/4 turns if need be.

i found i was getting better results with the main jets all one size and the needle clips staggered one clip between them (ie 3 on the outside 4 on the inside).... but have since found it even better to have no stagger at all [B)]) but every bike is different

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only notice it when cruising down the highway at relatively the same speed. I would have gone with a 162/165 setup but the kit doesn't come with 165s. The 162/168 setup was recommended by Factory Pro. The kit also does not include 4 of the same size jets. I believe it had 2 158s, 2 162s, 2 168s, 2 172s, and two 175s. The rationale for the larger inners was to keep those cylinders cooler as it has heat from both sides and the outers don't. Richer = cooler is what I was told. Also supposedly to keep the S pipe from overheating. I will start with the pilot screws and take it from there. Also for the Katana with the broken header screws, I had the same problem on a 95 Honda XR200. I let it sit around for months after it broke because I did not feel like messing with it. Believe it or not, I actually bought a can of something that worked. I had about a half inch of the bolt sticking out so I filed opposite sides lightly to get a flat surface and sprayed Liquid wrench on it and let it sit for about 15 minutes. I cam back and hit it a couple of times with a hammer, put locking pliers on it and bam, it came out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I always thought that the air path to the innner cylinders was faster because it is a straight shot. The outer cylinder intakes get turbulent at higher speeds due to the outer edge of the air box.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Remember, when using jets there isn't always a clear cut combination.
Too many variables to say "this is what everyone should do and expect the same results as the next bike".
Look at Ivan's kit, he may recommend you run #165's no stagger.
Is it better? If you stagger the mains should you also stagger the needles? Who knows, all you can do is try.

I've always had vibration in the bars, from 1000-6000rpm at slight throttle but none under mid to hard acceleration . Full system cut mine in half. Jet kit after made a very slight improvement. Bike did vibrate pretty bad when first fired up after jet install and got much smoother while synching. This bike has #42 pilot jets and screws 1.5 out so its set up very rich. I'll have #38s in it Sunday so I'll see if that helps reduce it more.

Anyone thought of installing a LED A/F mixture gauge? I use to see them alot in the early 90's. Its a oxygen sensor that is wired to a small black unit that has about 10 leds, green in the center, then yellow amber and red. If your in the green then your at 13.6/1 .
Don't know about delays. Just a though I had a while back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.