Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any info on a carbuerator syn would help. What i need to do and the tools. I don't have a sync tool, so if any of you know where i might find one for a decent price, let me know, if ya know the price that would be great too!

Bri

A wise man once said worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair, it gives ya something to do, but doesn't soplve the problem!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought an older type with mercury instead of dials. works fine. Just synched mine last week and it made it so much smoother. I think, get this, I got it from jc-whitney. You know, the old heap parts place. LOL. was like 39$ i think.

98 6R. TBR slip-on. No poser add-ons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
How long does the synching take and how often must it be done? A local Honda dealer tried to tell me it had to be done every 7k. Touting the benefits of Honda fuel inj of course! HA!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
There is a tool called the Carbtune. It works like a mercury stick but uses stainless steel pistons in plastic tubes instead. I found some articles raving about it on the internet. I bought one from the guy in England who makes it for about $60 to my door. It works very well and is well made. It took me about half a day to sync my carbs the first time but I could probable do it in a couple of hours now. I made a auxillary fuel tank by taping a nipple into the cap of a plastic Blitz gas can and then turning it upside down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i got the jey kit installed and i got a mercury stick. I hooked the mercury stick up. It seems as though my 1-2 cyclinders are fine, my 3-4 cylinders are way off. Where is the mixture adjustment screw/plug, i tried messin with the jet, only to find out that messin with that doesn't matter any...

I have come this far and i am not gonna take no for an answer!

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP! MY BIKE IS IN PIECES! IF YOU LIVE LOCALLY OR DON'T MIND GIVIN ME A CALL, MY NUMBER IS 916-402-9310, ASK FOR BRIAN!

TIA

Brian

A wise man once said worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair, it gives ya something to do, but doesn't soplve the problem!!!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The drill is to balance cylinders 1&2 the balance 3&4. #1 is the left carb as you face the front of the bike from the riding position. The balance screw is on the throttle shaft between the two carbs mentioned. When you have done both sides balance the sides against one another by using the balance screw between 2&3. The closer you get them the better but the factory tollerance is pretty loose.You will never get it exact and you will wear yourself out trying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
swjohnsey: Thanks for the info man, i got the bike running and i got the carb's sync'd. However, the engine sputters in 2-6 gear at around 12k. Got any advice? The jet kit says to lower the needle a notch and that might fix it. At first i thought maybe it was a fuel flow problem, but i narrowed that out. The bike does however run smoother and i got my mid-range back. Acceleration is cleaner, and the bike even sounds better, healthier. Anyways, thanks for all your help bud, i really appreciated it!

Bri

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience jetting but the high end, above 8-9 K, is controlled by the main jets, mid-range, 4-8 K by the needles. Sounds like you are too rich or too lean on the mains. To find out, if it runs better when the engine is cold you are too rich, if it runs better when the engine is hot it is too lean.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quote:
I don't have a lot of experience jetting but the high end, above 8-9 K, is controlled by the main jets, mid-range, 4-8 K by the needles. Sounds like you are too rich or too lean on the mains. To find out, if it runs better when the engine is cold you are too rich, if it runs better when the engine is hot it is too lean.
Any idea on how to adjust how rich/lean the carbs are running...I think i am just gonna take it to a dyno....i got it runnin all the way upto 12k...but i can't seem to leave it alone....damnit!

Brian

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
On the '95-'97 ZX-6R the center two carbs have richer main jets, 145s in #1 and #4 and 150s in #2 and #3. Are you running the same size main jet in all the carbs?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am runnin different jets. But i think i may have them reversed and that might be my problem. Damnit, now u got me goin again. I finally accepted the fact that i need to take it to a dyno shop last night, and now u got me goin again....DAMN!

S'all good though man, i like workin on my bike. Ice chest full of beer, some tunes, and my wrenches. Not to mention got my girl cookin me dinner. Life should always be this good!!!

I'm outtie......thank swjohnsey!

Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.