Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on doing two thing coming up. One will be my valve adjustment, and the other will be my Carb Synchronization. I'm not exactly sure what supplies I need for the valve adjsut ment but it seems pretty easy in the haynes manual. However with the carbs being synched what kind of pressure will the gauge need to measure. I have foound a guage at autozone for about 25 bucks that measures vacuum pressure (manometer) but I'm not sure if it will work for the job. So any special advice or equipment I might need that you guys can give me a heads up on would be great. Thanks in Advance. I have stands and plenty of tools including a torque wrench but im short the vacuum gauge and anything else specialized that is need for the valves. Thanks again. :D

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
for valves, you'll need some feeler gauges, most likely a new gasket for the right side cover you need to remove, and sometimes a new valve cover gasket, but most often the old one is fine, just be careful removing it.
If your valves are out of spec, you'll need new shims to adjust them.

For carb synch, you need a 4 port sync tool, a cheap mercury one is fine, just don't rev the engine while it's hooked up, or you'll suck in the mercury :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it has to be a 4 port vaccum gauge? I couldn't get by with just one and check each vaccuum like that? I know that they all have to have the same pressure(which I have no idea what that is since the service manual doesn't even say it. just says the max difference of each vaccuum). But is it possible to check each one then adjust, then check each one, then adjust, etc, etc. By the way thanks. I also need to figure aout how to put on a rear tire by myself so wish me luck and thanks for the feedback GreenEnvy = [8D]

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
you want a 4 port gauge because a single vacuum gauge would make it a pain in the ass. you would need to switch the gauge around too many times. i bought a real cheap motion pro unit from indysuperbikes.com i think it was less than $30.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I support my bike with tie-downs from the grab handles to the ceiling, and then put jack stands under the swingarm when my rear wheel needs to come off...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In response to earlier posts:

"most likely a new gasket for the right side cover you need to remove"
"sometimes a new valve cover gasket" -Green Envy
Its's a kinda lame ? but where is the most common place they'll sell the gaskets I'll need (I would ask you what kind but I can look that up in the book)

"you'll need new shims to adjust them" - Green Envy
Where are they gonan sell "shims" at? (I have no clue what those are YET :) sry)

Hardware stores? Stealerships?

I'll take a look for a 4-port vacuum gauge like you said. I can wait instead of buying a single port guage for $25 at autozone, since it's only $5+ more. As for the rear wheel thing... I have front and rear pitbull stands (awesome stands) and I've taken off the rear a few times to have the tires changed rather than tryin to get the bike up to the shop. I was actually talking about how to get the tire off the rim and install a new one. I think that may be beyond my skill level but im not too sure about that. I looked through the how to section for a "How to change a tubeless tire" in these forums but had no success. There are some tutorials about it on the web but I found them kind of vague. Thanks again for the links and headsup GreenEnvy and ginofultano. :D

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
new gaskets you'd need to get at the dealer, or an online kawi dealer, since the shapes are specific to your bike.
Shims would be best to get from Kawi too. You won't know which shims you need until you've got the engine apart and can measure how much you are off, and see what is in there already. The shims looks like little watch batteries, and there are dozens of sizes, all fractions of inches smaller or bigger then the others.

As for changing your tires, unless you have the equipment to do it, I'd suggest letting the dealer actually mount the rubber for you. You need a bead breaker to break the bead on the old tire, which takes a good amount of force.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Tracker,

Here is a link you might find helpful. It was posted by a ZX6R rider who included good photos and detailed descriptions about how to perform both routine and more involved work on the ZX6R.

http://www.themcdonalds.net/richard/bike/zx6r/maint/index.shtml

Even though I have the Kawi Service Manual it often is lacking in detail especially when you have not done a carb sync or valve adjustment before. The worst part about the valve adjustment is that you have to take your bike apart first, measure the valve clearances, calculate what thickness shims you need, and then go to the dealer to get the correct shims. Some dealers will trade shims with you at no charge if you ask real nice.

As for removing/installing tire on your rim I would have to agree with the previous post. I have found only one local shop in my area that can manage to do this without damaging/scratching the rim and this is with the correct equipment. :( Trying it at home without the equipment will most likely result in a damaged/scratched rim.

Good luck and keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have to adjust the clearances it really helps to have a digital micrometer to measure the shims. If you follow the directions given in the link posted above (mcdonalds), you will have absolutely no problem. Just make sure you do this in a very well lit, clean area because there are a few bits that can get frustrating. The main one I remember from the first time I did the adjustment was getting the timing chain and camshafts to line up properly while bolting down the cam cover and lining up timing marks. It can be a bit of a balancing act, but very do-able.

That article also tells you step by step how to sync carbs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow thanks for all the help. The links look like they well help a good bit. I usually go to a shop to do the tires for just that reason. I don't want scratched rims from a tire change. I scratch enough shit as it is. Thanks for all the help with the valve and carb process and the best places to get the parts I'll need. I'll be digging into it very soon so hopefully I won't be back asking tons of questions... maybe just a few [8D] thanks every1

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.