Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carb Synchronizers

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  diirk 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I'm looking at getting a set of carb synchs and was wondering what type the wonderful folks here on the list had and what they thought about them.
I'm leaning towards the vacuum type for the simplicity of it over the mercury type.
Also, if anyone has the directions for eother of these, please post them, it could be usefull in deciding which to purchase.

Thanks...

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

#4 ·
quote:
I'm leaning towards the vacuum type for the simplicity of it over the mercury type.
All carb sync tools are "vacuum-type" gauges—they measure the intake vacuum.

The Carbtune II, a mechanical vacuum gauge, is no less accurate than mercury vacuum gauges. In a comparison, Motorcyclist found that it read identical to professional mercury sticks.

The Carbtune II has a higher resolution than many dial-type gauges, and unlike some dial-type gauges, it needs no recalibration.

To see how it works, check out the page Carbtune II Operation.

Edited by - Rob Lee on 12/09/2002 10:10:20

#5 ·
Well, I agree with your opinions, that the mercury ones are more accurate, and I've also read good reviews of the Carbtune.
With that said, I ended up buying a set of the vacuum type from eBay for $20. It also come with a fuel tank. That alone is worth the money. I was planning on just using an R/C airplane fuel tank, but this will work fine. The link is... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=1873964661&rd=1

So, I doubt this will have instructions, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

#6 ·
diirk,

Perhaps my previous post was unclear. I would like to clarify the following:
  • The Carbtune II is as accurate as any mercury-type vacuum gauge. A Motorcyclist review found that "tested against a set of professional mercury sticks, the Carbtune II produced identical readings."
  • The term "vacuum-type" is ambiguous when describing a carb sync tool, because all carb sync tools measure the intake vacuum. The vacuum gauge you bought is better described as a dial-type vacuum gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.