Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike has been stalling at idle lately... only when its warmed up, its fine when its cold. i changed the plugs, but the old ones looked fine anyways. it also gains and looses power in the 3000 to 4500 rpm range. its kind of "surging" i guess. its mostly on the highway.
i installed a dynojet kit a while ago, and it said to turn the low speed needles to 2 1/2 turns out. but they were at only 1/2 tun out when i got the bike a few months ago. so i just set them to 2 1/2 turns out anyways. it ran OK for a while, but it was still surging.
so today after i changed out the plugs, i set the low speed needles to 3 turns out thinking that maybe i was running too lean. well it still has the same problems as before but the low end is a little smoother. if anybody can lend me some advice i would really appreciate it. i havent tuned 4 stroke carbs before, only 2 strokes. thanks
:mad:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody has any ideas? i tried raising the needles up one notch... it helped a little, but i still cant really ride at highway speeds. ill try raising them another notch... god this is so time consuming

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
one way to set the pilot screws is to start the bike, let it idle, turn each srew in till the bike changes note/pitch and back it out 1/2 turn..........this gets you a good start for the idle circut.

move the needle to help adjust the off idle cruising.......

good luck!

J

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dude,I have a suggestion,GET RID OF IT,seriously...don't expect to get any answers here either,10 mazzillion people own the same bike and noone knows how their carbs are set,I've had the same prob. as you and had the bike to several shops,spent lots of cash only to have the bike run exactly the same...

·
Registered
27 Posts
what did you change to make the idle issue? There's your answer.

Did you install the jet kit to try and resolve the issue? Was the jet kit what caused the issue?

Pilot Jet, Main Jet, everything is related with Carbs, you change one thign, you effect them all, you need to understand how carbs work.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was fine after i jetted it. it just started doing this randomly. i cleaned the carbs very thoroughly last night, but no improvement. checked everything from pitcock to carbs.. no clogs. i thinking it might be a problem with the fuel pump, because it wont turn over sometimes when i hit the starter button, but when i unplug the fuel pump it does so just fine... what gives> any ideas? is the fuel pump linked to the starter relay?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you verified you don't have any vacuum leaks in the air valve control or carb lines?

There are 2 plugged vacuum lines, and then the center 2 vacuum lines go to the emisison control.

There should be a schematic for testing the fuel pump in your Haynes/Other manual.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok here is an upate:
i was riding down the highway going back to school the other night, and it was doing the same thing: it was surging, almost like it was running out of gas. so i decided that maybe there was too much air being pushed in through the ram air which could be causing it to lean out at high speeds. so i just pulled over and pulled the ram air tubes out and voila! it ran as smooth as butter, till about 80 or 90, then it would kind of loose power like it was doing at 50 or 60 before, but it wasnt suring. so this is leading me too think i might need to replace the main jets with the bigger ones that came with the kit.
but at the same time, it seems like i shouldnt have to change anything in the carbs since it wasnt doing this before (as bad)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts