Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find any posts with the info I am looking for. I was on the muzzy webpage and it says the following about carbon fiber exhaust:

Note: Carbon fiber mufflers are not recommended for extended high temperature operation such as found in dyno testing or extended periods at high power. Care must be taken to ensure that carbon fiber mufflers are kept well packed to avoid heat damage.
Okay, so has anyone had problems with the carbon fiber. I haven't nailed down what exhaust I want, but I thought I wanted carbon fiber, now I am not so sure. Seems like a whole lot of extra money for something I have to more careful with.
I know that there are a lot of threads on "exhaust" but I'm not asking about what muffler to get, I am asking about the Carbon Fiber only. If you have any knowledge or know of a post containig info on this can you please help me out! Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! I really like the carbon fiber look, but when I read that on the muzzy site it kind of made me a little worried. I didn't see any statements like that on any other brand sites, so I guess maybe it isn't as big a deal as I thought it might be.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,898 Posts
It's probably a Muzzy thing. Their fit and finish is pretty poor. If you have the cash, I'd definately go with an Akra. They make their slip on / bolt on's in CF or Titanium, and they sound amazing. Most people make CF stuff, though. M4, Muzzy ([:M87]), D&D ([:M87]), Micron (big [:M87]), Two Bro's makes a plethora of different CF stuff, Akra, Termignoni...there's TONS of choices, and the only ones I've heard of having problems with the CF are Muzzy and Micron. Two of my riding buddies had their Micron CF cans just disintigrate on them after only a few thousand miles...like to the point where the CF can shell unwove and separated from the bolt-on mounting plate, so the exhaust was just straight exit with no packing or anything. Sounded like ass, and he had this limp Microm CF thing hanging by the exhaust hanger.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by dragknt
Two of my riding buddies had their Micron CF cans just disintigrate on them after only a few thousand miles...like to the point where the CF can shell unwove and separated from the bolt-on mounting plate, so the exhaust was just straight exit with no packing or anything. Sounded like ass, and he had this limp Microm CF thing hanging by the exhaust hanger.
Damn that would suck. I'd rather save my money and get something that will last. Thanks for the info man!

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
ive had two bros cf on my bike for a yr.i always get compliments on look and sound.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,898 Posts
Originally posted by trashmonkey

Damn that would suck. I'd rather save my money and get something that will last. Thanks for the info man!
Yeah, I don't think it's a general problem with CF, though, I think it's just the poor quality of Micron, and Muzzy admits that their quality sucks, aparently. Two Bro's CF lasts, and I have a buddy who has a CF Akra system on his R6 that's lasted years and it's still good as new. Only thing about CF is that the clear resin over the weave can get discolored if it gets too hot or with too many heat cycles...this takes a while to happen, though...like years if the quality of the system is good. I don't know if it's something you can clean off with the right stuff or what, but it just gets cloudy and the CF starts looking really dull. I have an Akra Ti system on my 636, though, so I don't have any personal experience with CF...just observations from knowing people with CF exhausts over the years.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
never had a problem, been though a track day, canyon runs, and just basic hard runs and never had a problem

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
do yourself a favor and get an Akrapovic or something like it if you are wanting CarbonFiber.
any other brand i have seen after time will fade,oxidize,crack,get burnholes in them.
packing is defineately essential on the cheaper brands.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I had SIL Motor highmounts on my Monster. They lasted for 6 years (still on the bike, but I no longer own it). The only thing I was deathly afraid of was dropping the bike and having them crack. Which I guess is another downside to CF. I am running a Blueflame (plain Ti) Evo 3 on my ZZR now.... But that is only because they no longer make the Evo 3 in carbon ;)

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
dont listen to the akrapovic groupies lol.there are other pipes out there.i personally like the louder,deeper sound at the lower rpms and dont feel akro offers that.
Originally posted by jdgun_13
do yourself a favor and get an Akrapovic or something like it if you are wanting CarbonFiber.
any other brand i have seen after time will fade,oxidize,crack,get burnholes in them.
packing is defineately essential on the cheaper brands.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input guys! At least it seems like I don't have to really worry about CF, now I just have to pick a brand. I have decided though I am going with a full system rather than a bolt or slip on, just have to save up now lol, that's the part that sucks!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.