Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kept noticing these little burn marks on my seats and couldn't figure out what was doing it. I have come to the decision that is is from my mirrors reflecting on certain parts of my bike during the hottest part of the day while parked at work. Heres what the burns looked like.

So I decided to recover. If your considering ordering seat covers I STRONGLY suggest this project. It can be a bitch, but turns out great and cost me 13 bucks in supplies..I used carbon fiber look boat vinyl. Thick, stretchable and water resistant.
First strip the seats.

Then lay it upside down on your material and cut it out leaving enough extra to wrap around and staple.

I started at the flat parts first and stapled those, then I worked around the harder angles pulling tight and stapling as I went. This vinyl was very strong and withstood a lot of stretching.

As you can see I went crazy with the staples. You will understand when you FINALLY get the wrinkles out and just want that damn vinyl to stay in place!

Passenger seat done.

Same for rider seat. This one is a BITCH..

I recommend doing relief cuts on the sides for this one. It makes it so easier to get the fabric to lay because for the rider seat you have both inwards and outwards. It took the longest.

Both seats done.

Hint, replace the rubber padding before putting them back on. I forgot to and scratched the hell out of my tank with the staples. Luckily it doesn't show but still wish I hadn't.

Shots taken this morning, I really like the look. Rode with a passenger all weekend and no problems so far.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Nice work. I have been thinking about doing this as well. Are they slicker than the stock ones?
I am just amazed that your seats were being melted by the sun.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work. I have been thinking about doing this as well. Are they slicker than the stock ones?
I am just amazed that your seats were being melted by the sun.
Nope, about the same grip. The carbon fiber pattern helps a lot. It wasn't just the sun really, but the sun being magnified by the mirrors.

·
Registered
86 Posts
that looks nice im lookin at doin the same thing, found a shop around here they want 26 per yard i want to get black and silver carbonfiber they both look sharp from there display

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am getting ready to do this also. I plan to shave the seat some and possibly put in a gel pad. Thanks for doing it first so I could see how good it looks.

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
i did the same EXACT job about a year or two ago. the vinyl is still holding up great. its a little grippier than the factory vinyl.

·
Registered
274 Posts
thanks, after seeing you do this i finally got off my ass and did the seat on my 7. wasnt able to find nice CF material. had to settle for "leather look" still looks alot better. thanks again for the motivation.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
Looks good, good write up, reps to you. You should see if you can get the Mods to move this to the "How To" section. I have an 06 I was thinking of recovering the seats on. But I do have to say...you have a fetish with staples or something?....JK Once again, good job and good write up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks good, good write up, reps to you. You should see if you can get the Mods to move this to the "How To" section. I have an 06 I was thinking of recovering the seats on. But I do have to say...you have a fetish with staples or something?....JK Once again, good job and good write up.
LOL, like I said man, once you finally get that vinyl where you want it you'll slap your momma to get it to stay there!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts