Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

has anyone changed their wheels to carbon or anything else and if so any reports on any pros and cons of doing this.

you read that they will improve handling...improve acceleration etc etc..is all of this true.

anybody got any picture

cheers

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Yes it will, but I think there are better places to spend 3grand for a set of rims that you could destroy if you hit a pothole or speed bump.

You might consider forged aluminum if you REALLY want lighter rims.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Honestly, this is the NO BS answer i will give anyone.

If you have not set your suspension (forks & shock) for YOU (including revlave and spring), then this is a waste of time, and i am sure anyone who knows about bikes will agree.
but if you already have done this then brakes would be the next best choice to upgrade, but yeah the BST wheels are damn sexy and from the 1098 i rode with them a huge improvement over stock, but at $3400 there is ALOT of things you can do.

i went with carrozeria wheels as my cost was under $1300 leaving me with that other money for more useful parts FOR ME.
but all in all i wouldnt mind haivng them, great quality light wheel.
but for the price ,carrozeria wheels and some carbon brakes will work just fine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i don't think there is anything sexier then the PVM 20spoke wheels. but like everyone else has said that there are many more practical performance mods with that money, but hey, it's your money

·
Registered
311 Posts
Honestly, this is the NO BS answer i will give anyone.

If you have not set your suspension (forks & shock) for YOU (including revlave and spring), then this is a waste of time, and i am sure anyone who knows about bikes will agree.
but if you already have done this then brakes would be the next best choice to upgrade, but yeah the BST wheels are damn sexy and from the 1098 i rode with them a huge improvement over stock, but at $3400 there is ALOT of things you can do.

i went with carrozeria wheels as my cost was under $1300 leaving me with that other money for more useful parts FOR ME.
but all in all i wouldnt mind haivng them, great quality light wheel.
but for the price ,carrozeria wheels and some carbon brakes will work just fine.
if i set my suspension to my weight and have a passenger will the suspension settings be tweaked for the enxt solo ride?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have Magnesium Marchesini's and a 100% Carbon Fiber gas tank on my R1 :D

[/pic whore]

With those mods along with others like the full system, 520 etc...in track bodywork my R1 weighs less than most 600's.

Yes, it will make a difference in handling, acceleration, braking etc.

BUT, those things only apply if you are riding the shit out of the bike already. In other words, Carbon wheels will not get you to Starbucks any faster.

As previously mentioned, work on suspension first, then brakes/brake lines etc. If you have 3g's to blow, go for it...but if YOU are slow with stock wheels, YOU will be just as slow with Carbon wheels.

My .02

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
And we all know how slow the R1's are..

JK
seriously, JK

And why does everybody dog out starbucks? i love having a nice 4 shot latte before a ride.

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
That R1 is SICK! :crazyloco:

·
Registered
417 Posts
And we all know how slow the R1's are..

JK
seriously, JK

And why does everybody dog out starbucks? i love having a nice 4 shot latte before a ride.
I actually like Starbucks, i do the same thing before a ride. BUT, the local Starbucks just so happens to be the local Squidfest also. You can pass by there when the weather is good and see 10-30 bikes (mostly lowered) doing fuckall but running their mouths.

Oh...and gear is optional.

That R1 is SICK! :crazyloco:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts