Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently adjusted the idle on my bike that was to high and i let a friend borrow it and he filled it with premium 93octane up untill now i had only been running 91 and after riding it awhile it started to miss real bad and the fuel overflow line is leaking gas. im assuming one of the carbs is messing up. im very new to bikes but know my way with tools and basic automotive skill. i would like to know if there are any sites, forums, threads, anything that could show me how i could take off the tank to replace the plugs (which i know it will need) and how to rebuild and tune the carbs. if i rev the bike up i can hear it miss and see blue smoke come out from the right side muffler. i have a 90 zx750.. please help!!!!

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
hm.. blue smoke usually is indicative of oil..

valve seal job??

the tank is an easy off deal.

thers two bolts up front, two under the seat. take em out and lift the tank straight up.. might wanna have a buddy around to disconnect the fuel line from the petcock, which you should have turned to the "off" position...
now, with the vac and vent lines off the airbox, remove the lid to gain access to a few 8MM bolts securing the airbox to the carbs.. remove them and just lift the airbox up and off the motor to reveal the plugs.

if you need an in-depth on the carbs and their service, just PM me and i'll post a lil how-to up with pics and stupid lingo and all that stuff. hopefully the spares i have laying around the shop are the same.. they should be... (mikuni CVK's)

also, if you decide to remove the carbs or play with the linkage, you should look into syncing them.. you may want to entertain that thought even if you don't remove the rack. if they're close on the manomoeter, don't touch em..lol i had a buddy that thought he was some guru and he completely fucked my boy's CBR900RR up so bad, not even a dyno tune could fix it..
.i tried for a solidday to tune it, i got as close as a solid idle and running well at 2300rpm and up..lol we eventually just jetted it and it worked out well that way.. not sure why, but it did!

but ya.. you probably have a stuck float..

well.. actually.. that overflow line.. is it from the carbs or the tank? if its the tank, i'd try opening the tank up to see if its vaporlocked and not allowing gas into the carbs..
the pumps aren't very strong, and if the vent lines get clogged or something stupid happens, the pump isn't strong enough to fight the ensuing vacuum.

if its a carb line, then ya.. you probably have a stuck float or clogged jet or screen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.