Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least he didn't get his fingers in that open sprocket. Ouch.

------

-gary

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
This past Thursday, a good friend of mine wrecked his bike on a highway entrance ramp while riding a wheelie at about 60mph. He said that he was trying to hold the balance point and gassed it a little too much. He shoved the front end back down, and the bike bucked him off the seat and they both slid for about 65 yards. He was wearing a wife beater, no helmet, and shorts at the time. He has pretty bad roadrash, but in a few weeks he'll be pretty much back to normal. Right now, he can't even extend his arms out straight because his elbows are so sore and scratched up.

This is the side the bike slid on. As you can see, the asphalt ate right through the engine cover.

As far as I can tell, that is the only damage done to it. Haven't gotten an estimate for repair yet, but I'm sure it will be expensive.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
That's true. Actually, He just got finished putting a new chain and two new sprockets on that bike two days before he wrecked it. The front sprocket cover is missing because one of the bolts broke (it only has two of them) and I think he lost the other one. Don't worry though, his hands are plenty messed up. Can't straighten his fingers yet.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
OK, I got two key things out of Tommys post, they are:

1. "slid for about 65 yards"

2. "He was wearing a wife beater, no helmet, and shorts at the time."

Tell your friend he's lucky to be alive wrecking like that at 60 MPH. Hope he heals fast. It would have killed me 3 times over.

-Flash

------

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but habit" - Aristotle

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Believe me, if he ever gets on a bike again, he will be wearing full gear even in the hottest weather. He is in so much pain that he was considering giving up riding. I think he's changed his mind since then, but I know that he'll never ride without gear on again. His dad is supposed to email me pics of him when he first went to the hospital, so when I get them, I'll post em up.

·
Registered
315 Posts
he is one lucky bastard. i looped an fzr 600 once at about 65 mph. the bike was tw3isted in halg when i found it. r u sure he was going that fast? i wish iwouldve got out of it with just that damage.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Sounds like yet another "NOW I'm going to start wearing full gear when I do any kind of aggressive riding" story. I'm not a "full gear" preacher, but I know damn well why I wear it always...

Hope he heals well and gets back into riding quick, hopefully with the right equipment... keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Talked to him today, he's feeling better, but it still hurts. I went to the dealer yesterday and talked to my friend who is a salesman and talked about the damage with him. It is actually his old bike that my friend bought from him this past March. From my explanation of the damage, he said it should'nt top $500 for repair. I'm picking it up tommorrow to take it there and get it quoted, so we'll see.

DJ- yeah, he already said that it wasn't worth "looking cool" by riding without gear on. I'm positive that even if it gets to 100 degrees, he'll be wearing gear. He said that he won't quit riding, but I think there's one less sqid to be worried about.:D (like I should talk)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.