Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sportbike: 2002 Ninja 500R
Case porosity

I got my 2002 Ex500 back from my mechanic today. (Note: I bought this motorcycle brand new from a Kawi dealer in late August.) He changed out my water pump seal and gasket due to a leaky issue I was having...and while doing so he noticed yet another...Case porosity. He told me he had cleaned the surface underneath and back of the water pump several times to make sure there were no leaks, and upon running the bike for awhile, noticed a reappearing spot of oil...I noticed the same myself...I rode about 30 miles to my friend's house, checked it, and it was bone dry. Rode another 8 to the local Wal-mart, came out in about 20 minutes, and there was a slick of oil in the same area. I just wonder how kawasaki will handle this, being that the only two solutions are to change the engine cases or change the motor completely. What experiences do you guys have in this sort of matter?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Is it leaking directly out of the casing or out of a seal? I would think it would be nothing more than a bad seal if it were coming off of a seam.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Case porosity????
A case is either "O.K." or it is not. A case that leaks, has a hole in it. It's black and white, if it is a casting flaw, then it existed from the factory with a defective case, period!
Now on to the second part of your question, "How will KAWA handle this?"----- Be prepared to bitch and complain till you are blue in the face.

·
Registered
479 Posts
BTW, Kevin Jones is the second best back in college football! I hope you all beat the crap out of the 'Noles next year!

P.S. Darren Sproles is the number ONE back!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
cases aren't porous...lets see some pics so we can see exactly where the oil is appearing (like ken said it might be a gasket)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replying to my post. Given that the ground is covered in snow right now, I did several things to check what was going on with the bike today. I let it run for about 15 minutes with no throttle application (~1k rpm after choke) and checked underneath, no oil except a minimal film around a bolt...cleaned bolt spotlessly and tried again, this time holding the throttle at around 3-4k rpm until the cooling fan came on...This time no residue whatsoever. There was no oil on the casing beneath the pump either....

Yesterday I was riding the bike much harder than this test...putting between 5-8k rpm on it throughout my journey...Hopefully the oil I found yesterday was residual stuff that didn't get cleaned out of the pump cover or what have you and consequentially got vibrated/heated out of whatever cranny it was hiding in...But we'll see.

As for pictures, I'll be sure to get some next time I'm over at my friend's house.

Thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by nuton2wheels
Thanks for replying to my post. Given that the ground is covered in snow right now, I did several things to check what was going on with the bike today. I let it run for about 15 minutes with no throttle application (~1k rpm after choke) and checked underneath, no oil except a minimal film around a bolt...cleaned bolt spotlessly and tried again, this time holding the throttle at around 3-4k rpm until the cooling fan came on...This time no residue whatsoever. There was no oil on the casing beneath the pump either....

Yesterday I was riding the bike much harder than this test...putting between 5-8k rpm on it throughout my journey...Hopefully the oil I found yesterday was residual stuff that didn't get cleaned out of the pump cover or what have you and consequentially got vibrated/heated out of whatever cranny it was hiding in...But we'll see.
For what it's worth, my better half and I have two EX250s, one a ZZR250 (EX250H) we bought with only a couple of hundred miles on it, the other an old 1992 GPX250 (EX250F, same as the US Ninja 250) both sharing the same engine design. I've never seen anything like what you described on either of our bikes; in fact I am impressed at how our '92 EX250's seals have held up over time (no leaks!)

I'm even wondering if they could have overfilled the sump (in extreme cases this causes oil to start spilling out from all sorts of places). I can only suggest watching your oil level very, very carefully.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would bet that the oil seal on the inside of the water pump didnt get replaced or got f**ked up when the water pump was replaced ----i have sean that problem on a 95 zx6r that i worked on after the customer put a new pump on---

·
Registered
158 Posts
Case-porosity? That's a new one on me. Sounds like someone's trying to sell you lake-front real-estate in Florida. If this bike is still under warranty, that is easily a mfr-defect and therefore covered. Free new case and free labor to install it.
However it being winter and all, things are probably slow around the dealership and this guy might be simply trying to drum up some business. (If business is bad enough, he won't care if he's defrauding you or KHI's warranty program.)
Where is this water-pump located again? It's been two years now since my wife traded hers in, so I forget. That the leak appears to be occurring when you're actually riding the bike and not when you're revving it hot in the garage, opens the possibility that the resulting oil you're seeing beneath and back of your waterpump is simply coming from the chain. Might be wrong, but I believe the water pump is just ahead of the drive-sprocket cover?
Case-porosity sounds pretty shifty to me, and that he hasn't noted that your bike was purchased less than a year ago :(from his dealership:( and simply repaired it and told you afterward suggests to me that this guy is trying to scam you.
Mention this to the salesman you bought the bike from and remind him that your bike is still covered under the original 1-year warranty. At least make the mech defraud KHI out of the money and not you. And he'll have to submit this porous case to the regional-rep or warranty office, they will hopefully catch this BS. I hope you didn't pay for the leaky water-pump gasket. That should have been covered under warranty too.
If you did pay for that leaky gasket that was replaced before, I suggest you find a new dealer to work on your bike and inform them why this dealership lost your business.
Good luck.
-Calamari Chris in C'bad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.