Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with a ninja 250 ever ridden a CBR 250RR or equivalent? My '08 Ninja 250 is the first and really the only bike I've ridden. So I'm just asking if any of the, let's say, older more experienced riders, what they think.

I'm looking at a nice '92 Repsol CBR 250RR with 19500km on it for $4200 OBO. According to the current owner he's done a full front end service (head bearing, shock oil, axle re-grease) and comes with a nice carbon exhaust. Also has fairly new tires.

My riding style on the Ninja is pretty calm. I'm the "how many MPG can I get out'a this tank" type, but do run it through the gears once in a while. I usually sit from the middle to back half of my seat and wish the bars where a little lower. (I'm only 5'10" 150lbs) My current ride to work is about 50-60 mins long, and I don't get sore in this ridding position, except when trying to tuck because of the wind.

So I guess the real questions are;
- Will I find it's too much of a tucked/bent over riding position?
- How much harder on gas will it be? (I'm pretty sure it's only a 13L tank)
- What should I be looking out for if/when i go look at it? (It's about 1 1/2 hours from my house)

Thanks in advance guys'n gals.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I may be a Honda hater (and for good reason due to having owned a few) but I have to say, the 250RR is a great looking machine. Especially if it has the Rapsol racing colours. Not sure if 4,200 is something I'd pay for a bike that old but I don't see how you wouldn't like the bike. The riding position is something you'd quickly adapt to. I for one find the riding position in the N250 ridiculously high and can't wait for the clipons to become available, so that I can lower them (see a popular thread here on this). Much like you I have a tough time tucking - and I like to do that a lot. So an option is to keep the N250 and consider getting these clipons for it (would help with those valuable mpg as you'd be providing less drag).

I think both bikes are winners and whichever you go with, I'm sure you'll be happy. Although I haven't ridden the 250rr, I would suspect it would have a bit more bark? But like I said, 4,200 seems a bit on the high side. Seeing how no one buys bikes this time of the year, the seller could be pressured into letting it go for less.

The good news is, you can still sell your N250 for virtually what you paid for it, you wouldn't incur much of a financial loss. I'd definitely suggest you take the 250 rr for a spin and see how it fits you.

Reactions: Bluevitz-rs

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else have any thought's about this bike.

Because, I might have just sold mine for $5 Gs :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think you should stay with the Ninja. Why sell a brand new bike for a bike that is 16 yrs old? The Honda CBR250RR is a nice looking bike, but your going to have a real hard time finding parts for that bike. Also why go from one 250 to another, stick with the ninja then go up to a 600. also 5 grand is lower than what i paid these bikes are hard to get. I just waited 3 mnths to get my 2009 250 and paid $5200. Good Luck with any decision you make. Be Safe :)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I think you should stay with the Ninja. Why sell a brand new bike for a bike that is 16 yrs old? The Honda CBR250RR is a nice looking bike, but your going to have a real hard time finding parts for that bike. Also why go from one 250 to another, stick with the ninja then go up to a 600. also 5 grand is lower than what i paid these bikes are hard to get. I just waited 3 mnths to get my 2009 250 and paid $5200. Good Luck with any decision you make. Be Safe :)
Don't tell anybody else you paid $5200 for your bike:eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Also why go from one 250 to another, stick with the ninja then go up to a 600.
CBR 250RR is no ordinary 250 cc. It's 4 banger makes 40-45 hp and it weights in at about 350 lbs dry. It's performance is closer to the Ninja 500 than 250.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you look at his name you'll notice the location below it. He paid just a few dollars more than I did. With the current conversion that comes to some 4700 USD. Vehicles cost more up here, for the exact same model. It is a rip off, I know.

As for the Honda 250 getting poor fuel economy on the highway, any small cc bike will get horrible mileage when going fast. My GPz305 got worst mileage when I did a fast 250km highway trip than my friend's BMW1000. I doubt the Ninja would fare any better

·
Registered
62 Posts
I didnt know that about the CBR 250....I just thought 250. The bike he wants is 16 yrs old though. I honestly wouldnt have thought that the CBR is like a 500. that is ashame that they dont have new ones.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I didnt know that about the CBR 250....I just thought 250. The bike he wants is 16 yrs old though. I honestly wouldnt have thought that the CBR is like a 500. that is ashame that they dont have new ones.
It really is a shame. IIRC the big 4 Japanese manufacturers all had a 250cc 4 banger light weight bikes. They were all in the 40 hp and 350 lbs range. They are basically 250cc super sports. Although as mentioned, the fuel economy were not that great on these 250's and I don't think any of them were officially imported to the the US.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My first bike was a 1988 Yamaha FZR250R, which is essentially the same type of bike as the cbr 250rr, its a inline 4 cyl making close to 50hp.
I now have a 08 ninja250.

The redline is 18k rpm in the FZR which is a big diff from the ninja. And overall its way more powerful. The gas mileage sucks for a 250. Its about the same as a 600cc-1L race ed. bike. So ninja wins with flying colors in gas mileage.

The insurance is cheaper because the older bike isn't worth as much (at least in most places for insurance). The ride position is alot more forward than the ninja, I find the ninja alot more comfortable.

For straight commuting the ninja wins. For a bike to have fun on and rip around on, the 4cyl wins. It all depends on what you want. The old 4cyls are also alot less common which is something I like.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone heard on any cbr250rr or 400s in Canada?
There's a guy in Toronto that imports them. I just looked up "CBR 250" on kijiji.ca It's a free buy and sell if you've never hear of it.

They person buying my bike is offering me $5200 for it, but wants it delivered to Windsor. That's about 400km from my place. But considering I only paid slightly less than 5200 for it, I think I'll deliver. It'll only cost me about $60-70 in fuel costs to pull it there with my car and trailer.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Before you dive into that deal, keep in mind that there are proper companies that import cars and bikes to Canada - legitimately. A friend of mine had such a business and specialized in cars. But he did offer me a bike at cost. Doing so with a proper company will ensure you'll have no problems insuring the thing. The point I'm trying to make is, you may be better off importing one. I have seen what they have in Japan and the selection is incredible. Very low mileage vehicles, all extremely well maintained. Same goes for bikes. Only criteria is that Canadian law makes it only possible for you to import cars/bikes that are at least 15 years old. This guy likely got this 250 this manner. The concern is, how did he bring it in? If not done properly you could have huge problems. You don't want a road bike that you can't take on the road. This could become solely a track bike or a cardboard weight. So be warned.

With that said, why not look into importing one on your own? Cost is high due to the shipping costs. They arrive in Vancouver and is shipped via rail to you. Even for a bike the cost isn't cheap. Which is a shame as these bikes and cars are virtually given away in Japan.

personally I wouldn't trade the Ninja for a 4cyl Honda. I'm keen on getting good mileage. Reason why I no longer ride a 600cc inline 4. If you'll endup with a thirst bike, might as well make it 600 (although the weight is a bitch). You already indicated you like the fuel savings and is not someone that will thrash the thing around, so the Ninja sounds like the best bike for you. Hell, you just got the thing. At least enjoy it for a bit. I have had many bikes in the past (look at my avatar, I still do) and I tell you, you won't find a bike that is more fun than the Ninja 250. The thing is tight and modern. It feels modern. The old Honda will feel old. That alone ought to make you reconsider.

The decision is yours, I just hope to give you enough info to make an informed decision, especially with regards to the legality of it. Then before you decide to dump the new Ninja 400km away, definitely take the Honda for a good spin. Check to see the import papers. If they can't show you this, walk away. An uninsurable bike can only be used as a track bike. Or import one yourself, with a reputable importing firm.

Good luck. Just please don't rush into it. It could turn a positive bike owning experience into a nightmare.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My New 16 year old baby

Well I went, I saw, I test rode, I bought.

All I can say is WOW!! what a bike. The thing sounds like a litre bike and is glassy smooth on the power. Throttle response is instantaneous, but lacks some of the torque the Ninja had in the lower RPMs. But I think I can live with that. Riding position feel similar to the Ninja except you sit a lot lower and lean forward a little more. I brought it to my local Honda Powersports dealer to get the cert, but the seller assures me that it will pass and will take care of any problems if it doesn't. (he's a cop so I trust his word) He also had it insured with state farm, the same company I use so I shouldn't have any problems in that department. I just need to go the the DMV and get a used vehicle package and pay the taxes :violent:. Boo-ernz :(

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey man, congrats. I knew all along that you wouldn't be able to walk away from this bike (even though it's a Honda). Yes, it looks every bit as good as I imagine if not nicer, given the hot Repsol colours. I'm sure you won't regret it. Just remember, you can kiss the fuel savings that you liked so much with the Ninja as this guy is sure to be thirsty for gas. But it won't break the bank, especially if you do mostly city riding. It's when you take it out on the highway at over 140km/h that you'll see it getting worse fuel economy than a 600cc bike.

For my own curiosity when did he import the bike in? How many km on the clock? And what did you end up paying for it?
Again, congrats. It is a beaut.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
He bought it from that importer in the Toronto area that I mentioned earlier last November. He had the body repainted because of the damage done to it while being shipped over from Japan. He pointed out every little flaw over the whole bike and didn't try to hide anything from me. The bike had 12 500km on it when he bought it. Over that winter he and his cosine (who also happens to be a bike mechanic) tore the engine apart and went over everything. They re-shimmed the valves, changed the front fork oil, springs and seals, and put new front brake pads on. It also comes with brand new (1000km) Pirelli Roso (I think) tires and a Yoshimura Carbon can. Overall, I would say he put about 2-2.5 thousand into the bike. I paid $3900 cash for it.

edit: He also rejeted the bike to run with the can. He showed me the bills for all the stuff including all the different jets they tried before getting it just right.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Honestly man, if I had seen this bike before putting 5,200 bux into the Ninja, I would have bought this. Sure, I wouldn't get the fuel economy which is a strong point on the Ninja - but a stronger point is the weight. This bike is even lighter than the Ninja isn't it?

I see that this entire week your weather forecast calls for rain and crap. Hope you still manage to get some riding done before too late. i truly believe you made the right decision in letting go of the Ninja for this. This is one hot machine. You now have me thinking that maybe I should give my Ninja to the wife and get a similar import for myself. Although I'd try to make it a Yamaha (I just hate Hondas so much!)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts