Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and a friend went on a long ride yesterday and had the opportunity to run them on an abandoned road to see what his would do since he just bought it. I also ran his myself to see what he was talking about since I've got much more experience than him... (I know, keep it off the streets...:angry7:)

And at wide open throttle getting through 5th gear...right around a certain speed that I'm gonna call 45, the thing noses down like someone flipped the kill switch. If you pull clutch the engine stalls. If you roll out of it and leave it be for a few seconds as it decelerates, it will come back and run fine. The bike pulls reasonably hard to redline and though it couldn't keep up with my ZX6R, it would at least hang a few bike lengths behind me up til "45".

I'm thinking it's got a fuel restriction and the carbs just so happen to run dry at the same particular speed every time because the bike runs consistently. Just looking for any other opinions or ideas. It's a CBR 600 F4, carbureted, I think it's a 2002.

Sorry for the novel.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Your theory may be correct. Someone else I know was having that same issue, albeit at a higher than "45".

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
45 may or may not be roughly 115.... It's got some other issues as well, I'm a little worried about the clutch....but it's got super loud exhaust and you can't hear it pop or break up or anything, it just falls on its face. The choke cable and lever is all seized up too...I thought that was the problem cause I wiggled it and shoved it back a little more and the idle jumped up 250 rpms....so we went back out and he told me it still did it.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
fucking carbs...... :D

Get a bike with FI and the speed/inertia won't suck the fuel from the floats! (I know that doesn't really happen but still, I 'love' carbs....)

My 95 ninja would also die at certain speeds but I think that was attributed to a bad ecu. If it got too hot it would start to die. Like slowly depower itself, not an instant shit itself.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Fuel starvation, but if it only happens at "45" maybe you can just keep it down to maybe "35" especially since your friend just got it and don't have riding experience like you do going over "45" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel starvation, but if it only happens at "45" maybe you can just keep it down to maybe "35" especially since your friend just got it and don't have riding experience like you do going over "45" :rolleyes:
I see we're all on the same page here... He's not a newbie, he had a Shadow 750 before this and traded a dirt bike straight up for it, so he's got riding experience, just not a whole lot of on-road experience. When he finally got me to line up, we were on a long, empty back-road with no adjacent streets where someone could have pulled out and nowhere for a cop to hide. So flat you could see for a few miles. Sooner or later, he's gonna get popped and he's gonna pay for it. All I can do is shake my head and remind him how dumb he is...

I'm gonna try to check it out this weekend for him, but I'm kinda afraid to fix it because right now it's keeping him from getting REALLY stupid. It'll be a victory for me if I can get him to wear gear at least, besides just a helmet and gloves...

killer: I meant I've got more on-road riding experience, not that I've got more experience riding the piss out of a bike. I rarely beat on mine so I don't hurt the motor and have no track experience, so I'm just on the lower end of intermediate skills I'd say....(40k miles on-road experience).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts