Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CBR is a 1999, and it has a full Yosh exhaust with a jet kit. It was dropped once and has minor scratches that 'are not noticeable' on the side panel a little and a tiny bit on the tank. For sale by private owner.

vs.

Then there's the 1998 ZX7R, with a full Muzzy exhaust. No scratches anywhere, and it's being sold by a dealer.

Both bikes are about the same price OTD, but the CBR comes with a stand and a cover.

Which one should I buy? Personally I like the 7R, but I have never sat on or ridden either of these bikes. That will probably change soon, but I would like everybody's opinion and thoughts about this issue. Would you say either one was 'comfortable?'

·
Registered
474 Posts
Apples and oranges, my friend.

The CBR has more power and less weight. It also has a wierd-ass 16-inch front wheel (limits tire choices somewhat). The 7R is more stable and confidence-inspiring. It's also a PITA to wheelie without some gearing changes. Comfort is a wash- sit on 'em both and decide for yourself. Looks are personal preference, but I think the 7R is one of the best-looking bikes to ever come out of Japan.

Having ridden them both, I prefer the 7R. It's just a very sweet, stable ride. Your riding style will have a big impact on your choice here, too. Are you more into twisties or wheelies? Do the roads curve where you live? Will you be doing any trackdays with it? What kind of experience do you have?

·
Registered
755 Posts
IMHO, the 7R is more comfortable but the 900RR is a sweet bike. The RR also has a lot of trick stuff with it, but if it has been dropped (and this is a stereotype of 900RRs and their owners) and it was probably had a lot of stunting and other stupid stuff done with it. The 7R isn't nearly as powerful as the other one, but it looks in great condition. If it were my $ I would probably go with the RR after checking it over A LOT.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Mikey

Apples and oranges, my friend.

Having ridden them both, I prefer the 7R. It's just a very sweet, stable ride. Your riding style will have a big impact on your choice here, too. Are you more into twisties or wheelies? Do the roads curve where you live? Will you be doing any trackdays with it? What kind of experience do you have?
You know I think you're the first person besides me to have that bike as your favorite bike. Everybody thinks it's ugly with the ram air scoops onthe fairing. But I will probably never do a wheelie, or at least a good one, but I ride fast sweeping curves all the time. In NY there aren't any tracks, if there's even one I don't know about it. I have been riding dirtbikes and stuff all my life, but have about 2 years experience on a 2002 ZX6R.

sgates, why is the 900RR one of the most stunted bikes? Does the wheel just fly up whenever you hit the gas, or is it the balance or the cheapness of parts available?

thanks for your quick replies guys

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
NinjaRider I love the 7R too. I just can't afford the insurance on it and a 3000GT with my driving record.

·
Registered
331 Posts
id vote for the 7R also. ive always loved the way the front of that bike looks, but its always had a big ass ;).

·
Registered
999 Posts
The 900RR is used for stunting so much because in the begining you could get them really cheap wrecked and the parts were cheap and they have good power and a good balance point. Now so many people have used them for stunt bikes they are getting harder to find and parts are getting fewer. Now about which bike to buy. I have rode both bikes fast and did tricks on both bikes. I will NEVER own a 7R, I hated riding it more than any bike I have ever rode. It may handle ok but it lacks in eveything else. A zx6r will beat that bike. Im not a huge fan of the 9rr but I would ride the 7r and see for yourself how bad it sucks.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its nice to know that the bike has some fans....despite it's probable shortcomings.

I just got back from looking at the CBR and the pics don't do it justice. It looks great. But, it was dropped on both sides. The one side has barely noticeable scratches on the bottom of the fairing, and the other side has a tiny dent in the tank. It looks more like a blemish or something because you can't even notice either imperfections. The guy keeps the bike in his living for gods sakes. It wasn't too uncomfortable though. I didn't get to try it, but I willl take it for a test ride before I buy it. Man, now I'm really thinking about getting the CBR900RR now. Well, I guess tomorrow is judgement day huh? I'm getting a test ride out of that dealer if it kills me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Why would you get the 7r over a newer and badass 900RR?

Remember it's because of the 900rr that we have the R1, GSX-R 1000 and 10r. It was the bike that revolutionized liter bike class.

I'd get he 900rr over a 7r in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hmmm.... I don't know about a 6r beating a 7r....I own a 03 636 and before that had a 2000 7r and let me tell you don't underestimate that awesome engine in that 7.... The midrange on that bike is phenominal.... I've beaten a 00 ZX9R and a 02 GSXR 750 on my "old heavy" 7r... While I agree it's a bit outdated...but you don't really feel the weight in the corners.....on the flip side my 636 is a breeze through the turns but not even close to being as stable and "confidence inspiring"... Now, I've raced the same GSXR 750 with my 6r and can't get by him...it's close but with the 7R I walked him in the end.....a friend of mine who also owns a 03 6r and about 40 lbs lighter also got close but no cigar... When I raced the GSXR with my 7R...he would jump out on me then I would catch him midway and go past him about a bike length... And as for rider ability...I have to say out of my group I'm not near the top.....

I love the 7R....I love the 636....but I reallllly love the 10R kind of a combination for me..... So don't rule out that 7R...My bike also had a full Muzzy and it rocked!!

Here is a video of me racing the 9r...it's close and I'm on the right..

One more thing it is a PITA to wheelie....but can be done.....of course I don't have that problem with the 6r now :)

http://www.guamaniac.com/mc/webpost/zx7r vs zx9r.wmv

·
Registered
363 Posts
You did not say anything about milage on either bike. It looks like the CBR is a better investment if resale is an issue. I have not riden either so other than milage and age I would have no other comparison.

·
Registered
999 Posts
How far were you racing these other bikes on your 7r? The 2 7r's I have rode wouldnt beat any of those bikes. They were getting waxed by gsxr 750's all day, this is on the street not track. I just cant see the 7r beating any of those bikes unless it was the rider. The 7r was a pain to wheelie, it took every thing I had to get it up in 2nd. Once it was up you could ride it fine just seemed like it was lacking power.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I haven't ridden either one of the bikes but here goes anyway:

ZX-7R:
+ better looking
+ very good chassis and front end for twisties/track
+ racing heritage
+ nice midrange
+ lot's of tuning/racing parts available
- racy seating position, no good for touring
- weight (though I've heard it's not that noticeable when you ride the thing and contributes to the solid, planted feel the bike has)
- power is a bit lacking (though the full Muzzy exhaust should liberate some extra ponies)

CBR900RR:
+ more power
- 16 inch front wheel
- styling doesn't work for me

I'd go for ZX-7R...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
IMO the 900rr looks like a good deal. I've ridden both bikes and in my book the 900 is by far a better bike.

A guy we ride with rides 99(i think) zxr7 and it looks good and rides decent, but it feels heavy and slugish. I own a 99 6r and it's a hell of a lot better bike than the zx7r IMO.

I'd just ride them both and see what comes more natural to you.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Just demand a test ride on both & see which one you like more.
I've never ridden a 7r, but have ridden many 900rr. The bikes I rode were so light & felt very twitchy, I didn't like it at all.

I'd never buy a bike that had anything wrong with the tank...thats a rediculous replacement cost at time of resale. Most people will really low-ball you for any scratch you have on a bike you want to sell.

BTW, a 636 would dust any 7r....502 lbs 107hp...vs.....398 lbs 104hp
DO THE MATH!!!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Go for the 7R. I don't race, and don't want to kill myself running too fast on streets. If it were my money, I'd get the 7R. It's the bike I was going to buy until I saw my ZX6R at the dealership. Even though the 9R has a less weight and more power, the looks just don't do it for me. Besides, it's hard dating a girl you're not attracted to.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
I have an 02 and I race my friend's 7 all the time and I smoke him. It might be that he's heavier than I am but then he also has more riding experience than me (evens things out?).
Anyway I don't like the 7 at all. It looks like an elephant.
I vote for the rr.
Be sure to keep nagging the guy to give you a lower cost due to the tank dent. Listen to devulge.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.