Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well im asking because im pretty sure either its bad or it needs to be adjusted...so, is there any way to adjust it??? and or procedures to do it? i read that the 05-06 you can loosin it 4mm out then retighten.. but in the manual... it says not to loosen half way out and then retighten because it can cause damage.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
yes you can do that adjustment. it will last a little while. best thing to do is put a manual cct in.

there was a how-to in the how to section

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
it's meant to be automatic, so you shouldn't have to worry about it. It's probably micro's away from the next click. You can try backing it out a little bit and see if that makes it pop.

It's bad, tho, because if the chain doesn't have that much slack and you force the tensioner to push on it, you'll force and stress the chain and running gear.

Alternatively, just stick a manual one in like Warbuk said. Means you have to keep an eye on it tho, but every oil change, just check it..

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks... ill look for the how to thread... but is it specific for an 07-08 bike? also where would i find a manual cct and do you know if it would void my warrenty? cause the shit is still good till 2012.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
the 07-08 will be the same, a manual cct will not void ur warranty.

the stock auto-adjust cct is crap on every bike. it just doesn't hold enough tension and it rattles. it's not going to hurt the engine. it just makes it loud. there have been MANY replaced under warranty just to have the same results, therefore that is a waste of time. some just put up with it, the ones that done the non approved method of adjusting it loves their quiet engine.

i use a APE manual cct. got it from ebay. but if you google it, it will show many places to purchase one from. bout $55

i adjust mine once a year. since i put it on, 2-3 years ago it's barely needed adjustment.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
ok thanks... ill look for the how to thread... but is it specific for an 07-08 bike? also where would i find a manual cct and do you know if it would void my warrenty? cause the shit is still good till 2012.
1) Why do you think your cam chain is out of adjustment?
2) APE makes a good manual cam chain tension
3) If you have any cam or camchain related problems down the road it will NOT be covered by warranty. If you have the stock one in there it will be. Basically replacement of a critical part like that with a non-oem part WILL void warranty.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
3) If you have any cam or camchain related problems down the road it will NOT be covered by warranty. If you have the stock one in there it will be. Basically replacement of a critical part like that with a non-oem part WILL void warranty.
my dealer said it won't, but some dealers differ on what they want to warranty.

not busting ur chops, just wondering if ur dealer said it would? they can tell if the cam chain has been stressed (over tightened) or ran loose.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Answer to Q1 : because my bike is ticking louder than usuall, fisrt the ticking would go away... but now it hasnt, and it sounds like its rattling near the right side of the bike, also i got 10500 miles on it.

And for part 3.... i honestly think you got a good point. i do have a warrenty till 2012.. and my production date is 2-07 and those are known for having problems... so i think i will not add a manual cct. Thanks...

Also sev... you helped me out before on my coolant question a while back and some other things and i trust your advise... would you recommended doing the adjustment like in the how to section?

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
if you want the engine to quit rattling, you need a manual cct.

nothing else will solve it. good luck

nuff said

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dealer said... it would void it if anything goes wrong with valves, cam... ect. anything related to that part.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Answer to Q1 : because my bike is ticking louder than usuall, fisrt the ticking would go away... but now it hasnt, and it sounds like its rattling near the right side of the bike, also i got 10500 miles on it.
Check the bike with a stethoscope, or a screwdriver, try to find out exactly where the noise is coming from.

At 10500 miles it might just be the valves are starting to loosen up, tick tick tick... mine rattles like crazy, I figure it's piston slap (I've got about... 19500km on it I think that's 12k miles?)

my dealer said it won't, but some dealers differ on what they want to warranty.

not busting ur chops, just wondering if ur dealer said it would? they can tell if the cam chain has been stressed (over tightened) or ran loose.
I am the dealer - I've been doing warranty administration for about a year now for Kawasaki, Triumph and Arctic Cat, I've recently started doing Husqvarna, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia.

If you modify your bike in a non-aesthetic sense then you have voided your warranty. If the part that you modified leads to a failure then you're not going to get it covered.

Now, it's possible that your dealer was willing to lie for you and say that it still has the automatic cam chain tensioner, but that actually costs them money to do so and they run the risk of having an appraiser from Kawasaki show up and verify the claim - if they see the manual cam chain tensioner on there then the dealership is fucked and so are you.

Think about it this way. You are removing something that Kawasaki designed for their bikes, and replacing it with a part some other company designed. If that part leads to the failure then is it a manufacturing defect that Kawasaki is responsible for? No. Because they had nothing to do with the part that you installed on the bike.

If there is a camchain or cam gear or cam problem down the road and his dealer doesn't lie for him then he will not get warranty. However, if the stock part is still in there then he will. That simple.

·
Registered
443 Posts
ill just make a call to the dealer and ask them if it will void it or not.
stupid question...
you already said it was still under warranty...
if your so worried about it why don't you bring it to the dealer???
that way when / if you have a serious problem it is documented?

·
Registered
269 Posts
ok....so I can't believe that no one has brought this up, but Kawasaki makes a manual cam-chain tensioner. There's your way around the warranty issue if you're paranoid. FYI though, if you add an aftermarket part, the dealership has to prove that it was the cause of the failure. Otherwise you are covered...this is federal law.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok....so I can't believe that no one has brought this up, but Kawasaki makes a manual cam-chain tensioner. There's your way around the warranty issue if you're paranoid. FYI though, if you add an aftermarket part, the dealership has to prove that it was the cause of the failure. Otherwise you are covered...this is federal law.
good idea... so i checked it out...

Manual Cam Chain Tensioner

• A more reliable means of keeping proper cam chain tension but requires regular adjustment
• These items are intended for closed-course competition use only

• Alteration of emissions-related components can constitute violation of federal and/or state laws. Substantial fines and penalties can result if used for other than closed-course competition use

• Use of unauthorized components and use of a vehicle in competition can affect a vehicle’s warranty coverage

• Kawasaki Accessories used in competition are not covered by any warranty and are not returnable

• Quantities may be limited and replacement parts may not be available

* ZX-10R tensioner body shown. MAY VARY

MSRP: $47.95

Size/Style/Color:
Manual Cam Chain Tensioner

·
Registered
269 Posts
good idea... so i checked it out...

• These items are intended for closed-course competition use only

• Alteration of emissions-related components can constitute violation of federal and/or state laws. Substantial fines and penalties can result if used for other than closed-course competition use
Let's look at these statements from a lawyers perspective.....these items are intended for.... intended is the key word....it does not say that these are only for racing purposes and cannot be used on the street.

Look at it this way, if you are really anal about maintenance, a manual cam chain tensioner is going to help you attain that goal. it is much more precise. like i said...they would have to prove it causes a failure anyhow.

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
Check the bike with a stethoscope, or a screwdriver, try to find out exactly where the noise is coming from.

At 10500 miles it might just be the valves are starting to loosen up, tick tick tick... mine rattles like crazy, I figure it's piston slap (I've got about... 19500km on it I think that's 12k miles?)

Think about it this way. You are removing something that Kawasaki designed for their bikes, and replacing it with a part some other company designed. If that part leads to the failure then is it a manufacturing defect that Kawasaki is responsible for? No. Because they had nothing to do with the part that you installed on the bike.

If there is a camchain or cam gear or cam problem down the road and his dealer doesn't lie for him then he will not get warranty. However, if the stock part is still in there then he will. That simple.
uh...the valves get quieter as they "wear"

or so im led to believe...

also, KAWI sells a manual tensioner.
yep.

but..id just adjust that bad boy. its friggin easy. and its oh so nic to have a quiet bike again.

just use the guide for the 05..its gonna be close enough for you to figure out. if not the exact same.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
uh...the valves get quieter as they "wear"

or so im led to believe...
Depends on what wears and how. Riding style can affect valve wear.

There are a couple of different things that can wear out on a valve set:

1) The cylinder head and valve sealing surfaces themselves - valve gets tighter and quieter
2) The Valve buckets and/or cams - valves gets louder
3) The springs - valves get louder

Basically 1 - means that clearance is reduced and it gets quiet
2 and 3 means that clearance increases and it will get louder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts