Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like you are turning the adjusters the wrong way. Turn the adjusters counter-clockwise to tighten the chain. Unless your alignment marks are all the way to the last mark toward the rear of the swingarm, you should still have room for adjustment.

You never know how fast you can go, until you crash.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The adjusters may be seized, spray a bit of WD40 on overnight and with the locknuts slackened off, first try and tighten the bolts 1/4 turn, then, back again, and work it loose. If its really stuck, don't sheer it but take it to a garage and get them to use heat on it.

You can align the back wheel by comparing the square spindle spacer distance from the back of the swingarm. Get a Vernier caliper and use the depth probe (cheapies are £2 from Wilkinsons or B&Q), or use a tyre depth gauge and just make a comparison.

There are quite a few www.mcnninjas.co.uk members in the Reading area who would show you the error of your ways for a bacon buttie and a cup of tea :D

Ash

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ash,

I hadn't heard of that method of alignment? Sounds easier then running string from rear to front wheel. I just did mine with string recently, but I think I'll take the measurements you suggested, and hopefully things match up for me. Thanks for the tip.

You never know how fast you can go, until you crash.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hey, No problem, I'm a Toolmaker by trade, so I bodge for a living :D. The Swingarm ends are castings, which would be mounted in a jig before the Extrusions are stuck in and the gaps are filled with weld to make up the swingarm. The weld may be a variable width, but the Jigs should be within 0.1-0.2mm of accuracy IMO. The castings are quite clean on my bike anyway.

Ash

·
Registered
418 Posts
Next time I adjust the chain, I'll try and sort it, I've been doing alot of wheelie practice lately so it could be pretty soon :D

Ash

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to bike maintenance so if im talking rubbish be gentle with me

I am following the haynes manual guide to chain adjustment to tighten my old chain whilst awaiting delivery of a replacement.

I removed the split pin on the axle nuts, loosened them off on both sides of the rear wheel, i then turn the adjusters, after first loosening the locknuts and the alignment marks dont seem to be moving !!!

also what direction am i supposed to turn the adjustment bolts, i would have thought it would be towards the front of the bike to push to wheel back to tighten the chain but they are adjusted right the way to the back and cant go any further as they are blocked by swingarm.

Reading, UK
Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja Newbie Owner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.