Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '99 zx-6r, it has 20k miles , and i have two questions:

1. how do i know whether the chain and the sprockets have been changed already? the tensioner on the rear axis is approx. on the half of its lenght (still lots of reserve). I tried measuring the up-down movement of the on different parts of the chain and there are no big differences. When should I buy a new chain?

2. when I'm warming up with choke on, the engine dies if i give a little more throttle. the problem resolves when warmed up. is that normal?

TNX

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I don't know of an easy way to determine if that is the original chain. I think it came with an EK chain. If it has an EK chain on it that might be a clue. Also it is riveted from the factory. If it has a clip type master link it has been changed.

To check for wear look at the rear sprocket. If you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket more than about 1/4" at a point aligned with the center of the swing arm you are due for a new chain.

Ride gently when the bike is cold. You can use a little choke until it is warm.

·
Registered
130 Posts
andrej,

It sounds like you're using too much choke and/or leaving it on too long. It's best to begin shutting back on the choke lever as soon as the bike starts, and it should be completely off in 15 to 30 seconds in really cold temperature. I also recommend never moving off with the choke on, even a little. If you do, you will often forget to turn it off and you'll wind up loading the plugs big time.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If a new chain has been riveted on, a pair of pins will show a distinct flare at the master link.

To check chain wear, grab a pin at the rear sprocket, and then pull it outward. I would replace the chain and sprockets if it lifts more than one-eighth of an inch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.