Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 4,000 miles the chain and sprockets should not be worn out even with less than ideal maintenance. The marks on the swingarm are not always accurate. They are off considerably on mine. When you roll the bike with it in neutral and the engine off the noise the chain makes should be smooth. The teeth of the rear sprocket should be in the middle of the chain with no binding on the side of the chain.

I doubt the the front sprocket is on backwards. It is easy to check. Take off the cover and look at the sprocket. If you can read the writing it is on correctly. While you have it off clean out all the crud that accumulates in there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
You couldn't get the sprocket on the wrong way round as the chain wouldn't go back on due to a flange on one side of the front sprocket forcing the chain against the engine casings IIRC.

With the bike on its side stand, you need 35-45mm of slack total from link centre to link centre on the underside of the swingarm when you push the chain up and down, measured midway between both sprockets.
Use a vernier caliper or in absence of this a tyre depth gauge and measure too the spindle spacer from the back of the swingarm and doublecheck they are even after tightening up the spindle bolt.

Ash

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
When I'm riding in first or second gear, reasonably slowly, it sounds like the chain is "slapping" occasionally on something, sort of like a "clack" sound every few seconds. It almost sounds like the chain is slipping off the sprocket but I doubt it.

Once I get up some speed it stops (or I can't hear it).

I loosened off the chain a bit but it hasn't helped it. The chain, when you push it up from the bottom, doesn't sit directly on the plastic guide track (under the swingarm), and the guide is worn a bit from where the chain has touched it while moving.

So it would seem the chain is not perfectly straight in regards to the bike frame?

Another thing I considered is that the front sprocket can be put on either way around? Is that right? If it was put on the wrong way would it cause the sound?

Also while I'm going, when I adjusted the chain tension, the marks on the frame at the lock nut are the same on both sides, but the threaded adjustment bolt is slightly different (number of threads showing). If this is supposed to be the same would it make a difference if the wheel was slightly askew?

Thanks for any info.

Oh yeah it's a 2000 zx6r with 4000 miles on it.

Andy

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for that.

We adjusted the chain for 30 - 35mm two days ago and then we re-adjusted it yesterday for the same slack while sitting on the bike. Is this too much slack? When there is no weight on the bike there is slightly more slack obviously, and it hasn't changed the noise.

When I roll it in neutral, it is quiet as a mouse, but it's when I get towards 15 - 20 km/h or so it makes the sound.

I'll check the sprocket this morning.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
321 Posts
Glad to see my bike isnt the only one doing this. Same speed, like around 20-30mph my bike will do the same thing. Sounds horrible. I know when other bikes ride by when I'm just standing on a curb you can hear the chain rolling off the sprockets, but I wonder what ours sounds like from, afar. Are the looks we get cause of the noise[8D]? My bike has 6,000 on it and the chain and sprockets have less than 1,000 on them. So they arent worn out. I havent yet adjusted my chain but there doesnt seem to be a lot of slack there. Let me know what happens. I'm egar to find out what this is.

Go Green, but let the others have the envy

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I re waxed my chain and it has made a lot of difference, but I also adjusted the slack again so maybe I just got it spot on this time.....

When I get the chance, I'll pull the chain off, give it a kero bath and start over with fresh grease.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't want to insult your intelligence, but my bike does it if I don't wax or lube me chain about every 2 to 3 rides. I only notice it when going slow. My riding buddy always has to tell me it is doing it, because I usually don't really notice it till it gets bad. Just a thought.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah I've narrowed it down to the chain, but the weird thing was that is wouldn't make the sound on the paddock stand. It was only once I had a little bit of speed up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.