Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy mine told me last night the easiest way to clean the chain is to use brake pad cleaner... apparently it's O-Ring safe and melts away any gunk without hours of elbow grease. Right now, I'm using WD-40 and rags-o-plenty, and it is probably my least favorite maintenace procedure. He says with brake pad cleaner (found at AutoZone, Walmart, etc.), it should take about 15-20 min. to clean.... Any thoughts on this one?? I don't want to end up ruining my chain, but DAMN! I want an easier way to clean it. TIA!

·
Registered
35 Posts
One of my buddies is a mechanic and he advised me to clean it with Varsol, which, supposedly is also O'ring safe and not as messy as using W-40.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I use diesel fuel. It is O-ring safe, cheap and widely available. I use a tooth brush and paper towels. Takes about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
holy shit. 5 minutes??? I could never get all the crap out from in between the rollers in 20 minutes, let alone 5. Maybe I'm too picky. But anyway, right now I use WD40, which is pretty much just kerosene with perfume. But it doesn't "melt" the crap away, it still takes some scrubbing. Over the winter I think I'll patent a miracle-chain-cleaner machine [^]

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i use wd40 or my plastic cleaner/polish(plexus)

·
Registered
534 Posts
wd40 works fine with me.
them brake pad cleaners like brakleen or something of that matter wouold expand the o-rings or anything rubber for the part. working with cars all my life, that sh*t's strong stuff and it will irritate your skin big time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you have about $50, the best way to clean your chain is to buy a handheld steam cleaner from bissel or whomever. I have the bissel handheld steam cleaner and it works miracles on my chain, wheels, and tough to reach areas. Not to mention that it will not harm any of the o-rings or sensitive parts.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Kerosene is the way to go. Wear gloves and make sure you use it in a well ventilated area. It can be a bit messy, but for me it works well.

Try searching on chain cleaning or something similar, this topic has been discussed before and some good ideas have been thrown about. Enjoy. :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
I've always used acetone since it strips it good and dries fast. I've never heard of that damaging anything since it evaporates almost instantly.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
There is no easy way to get the chain off so you clean it on the bike. There is also no easy way to get surface rust off of a chain so it is best to just leave it alone. It won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Originally posted by sgates
I've always used acetone since it strips it good and dries fast. I've never heard of that damaging anything since it evaporates almost instantly.
Acetone? It does dry pretty damn quick but it's also some pretty powerful stuff. Wouldn't it also dry out the O-rings causing them to crack? Just curious. I have a gallon of acetone at the house but haven't use it for that purpose.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I wouldn't use acetone. I'm not positive it will eat O-rings but it has never come up on the list of approved cleaners like kerosene, diesel fuel and Varsol, which is just a brand name for mineral spirits.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Soak a small rag with WD40 and run the chain through your hand with the rag by spinning the tire. Worked great for me and not messy at all. Then put your chain wax on. I use MAXIUM chain wax. Not much sling off at all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.