Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to tighten chain on bike today doing some overall maintenance. Chain felt pretty loose. Started adjusting it and it was where i wanted it. Spun wheel and damn it gets to a certain spot that is tight as hell. This is defiantly time for a new chain correct or could this be the sprockets? Looked over everything and the only thing i can think is the chain is shot. Is that defiantly what it is a bad chain or should i be looking elsewhere? I have to leave the chain loose now because if i leave it tight and it gets to the tight spot it will barely move.

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
It's the chain. You're best off buying a new chain and sprocket kit all at once. Supersprox has some good, strong kits.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alrighty thats why i tried getting this guy down a little new i was gonna run into maintenance issues thanks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i heard though that the new supersprox are garbage unlike the old gold ones they used to make right?

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
Never heard it, most people suggested it when I was looking earlier this year.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Went to tighten chain on bike today doing some overall maintenance. Chain felt pretty loose. Started adjusting it and it was where i wanted it. Spun wheel and damn it gets to a certain spot that is tight as hell. This is defiantly time for a new chain correct or could this be the sprockets? Looked over everything and the only thing i can think is the chain is shot. Is that defiantly what it is a bad chain or should i be looking elsewhere? I have to leave the chain loose now because if i leave it tight and it gets to the tight spot it will barely move.
Loose and tight spots on a chain is usually an indication that a replacement is needed. And when you do replace the chain / sprockets, you'll probably find the old chain has a ton of side to side movement as well. Another sign the chain is at the end of it's life.

And as 03Black posted, Sprox is a good choice. Not heard of the "old style good / new is bad" thing either ... :confused:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had seen a post on the sprocket breaking a hub or something a little while back. Thanks for the quick responses a chain is in order.

·
Powerhungry
38,187 Posts
just for curiosity sake, how lose was it when you had it adjusted where you wanted it?

it is normal to have tight, and loose spots as you turn the wheel. you should roll it around several times, and adjust it at the tightest spot.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had it to speck per the manual and how i have always kept on my bike. I usually try to give like a inch in slack. However when i spin the wheel it would stop the wheel cause it was so tight in a spot. Kept rotating the tire and it def gets very tight in a spot but i dont notice anything real bad in that area. I could only think of it being something wrong with the chain. Doesnt look like was ever changed on the bike.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You always adjust the chain at the tightest spot. Nearly every chain will always have an area a little tighter and a little looser than another area (actually have never seen a chain not have this)

So if you adjust at the tightest spot to your 1" (I think that is a little tight, but check the manual) slack and at the loosest spot it has what ?? more than 2" ( if so then I would say yes time for new) if it only like 1.5" or so- I would say it is pretty normal

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
I had it to speck per the manual and how i have always kept on my bike. I usually try to give like a inch in slack. However when i spin the wheel it would stop the wheel cause it was so tight in a spot. Kept rotating the tire and it def gets very tight in a spot but i dont notice anything real bad in that area. I could only think of it being something wrong with the chain. Doesnt look like was ever changed on the bike.
Is "like an inch" in slack the spec as per the manual?

Did you measure it off the kickstand?

Most importantly did you put the rider on the bike and make sure that you still have at least a 1/4" of slack while the bike is weighted?

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
1.2-1.4" per the FSM.

as for quality chain and sprocket sets, i prefer the drive systems superlite rear sprockets coupled with an EK chain. the superlite sprockets are just as light as the supersprox rear sprockets and way cheaper.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I usually go 1 to 1.5 inches of slack, but I like to keep it a little on the "high" side of that being that too loose is better than too tight. Too loose can cause the chain to beat the sprockets up, too tight can cause excessive radial stress on the countershaft. Sprockets are much cheaper to replace than a tweaked countershaft.

If you set the slack 1-1.5" at the tightest spot and you're over like 2" at the loosest, then I say the chain needs to go. I personally reused my sprockets (OEM steel units off of an 05/06 ZX6R) and added a new chain, but others boast that you have to swap out everything otherwise your old parts will prematurely wear out the new parts. This is true and the concept makes perfect sense, but I personally don't think my chain will wear out significantly faster than it would with new sprockets, especially considering how good my old sprockets look. So I spent $118 at Cycle Gear for a new chain rather than $250 or so on a whole new set.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah at the tightest spot its 1.5 then this thing goes to super loose over 2inchs. Im gonna try soaking the chain while i wait on my new chain and see if that breaks the chain loose. Think it just wasnt ever oiled well and now it is binding in certain spots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts