Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Thought I would become a member since Iam GOING to buy a 00 ZX6R next year. Just started riding this year on a 93 GSXF600 and have to say this is the best thing I have ever done. Just wanted to know how often a chain should be lubed...and if you should clean it every time before lubing it up?

Thanks everyone....next year is going to be fun

B.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tecnik, you should lube your chain every 200 miles to ensure a good life i have done this and have got well over 15000 miles from a chain and dont just keep applying lube over the top of the old crap clean it with parafin or simlar pour some in to a old coffee jar or something and use a old tooth brush this works really well and brings your chain up really clean, apply castrol or putoline ceramic chain waxes if you can get them in the states dont use the greasy crap it just flings and splatters all over your bike and reduces it's life with the ceramic waxes apply nozzle to the can and spray only on the roller part of the chain a paddock stand is a good idea.
DONT I REPEAT DONT use wd40 or penetrate and release spray as these items contain properties that will fuck up the rubber in your 'O'ring or 'X'ring chain and severly shorten the life of your chain, Hope this info is of some use to you.

Cheers FTP

IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TO MUCH SPACE

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you have an o ring chain, I would say lube it about every 400 miles. I use Maxima chain wax, and only clean up the chain about every third lube. O ring chains are very sturdy and do not need constant attention, depending on conditions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

but should you JUST oil it in between the 200 mile service period or only clean/oil it every 200 miles???

Thanks again

B.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Again, if it's an o ring you shouldn't be "oiling" it hardly ever. Use some spray lube every 400 miles or so unless you're riding in rainy or dusty conditions a lot. It's a good idea to keep gunk from building up on your chain, but there's no need to over do it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the chain. I do lube it often about every 3-500 miles depending whether its been short or long trips. Make sure to clean it often when stuck in rain or mud gets on it. I have used Maxima Chain Wax and Bel Ray superclean. They are two of the better, but all lubes fling off to some degree. The key is to clean the chain and ride it to get it warm. Then apply the lube and let it set, better if overnight. It will set up better for when you ride, or put it on a rear stand and fling it off then wipe down your ride. As far as cleaning only every so often, heck I've sprayed degreaser many of times on my chain and wheels because I don't like spending hours cleaning my bike but its my bike. No problems with the chain at 15K miles but be careful with paint on wheels it will come off to some degree.

Edited by - spuk0 on 11/06/2002 16:28:13

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I usually oil mine about every weekend or every other weekend, depending on how much I ride. I use PJ1 blue label chain lube.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Every weekend or everytime I wash the bike. Whichever is sooner. Initially tried out PJ1 black on the bike and was not impressed. Besides attracting dirt and leaving a mess when you touched the chain, it flung goop all over the rear end, swingarm, and under the sprocket cover. Cleaned it off and switched to Belray Super Clean which is much better. It doesn't fling crap at all, is clean to the touch, and very resistant to picking up dirt.

-2000 ZX-6R.....

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
hey ZX-6RBOY, try searching for your questions first using the search feature in on the upper right hand corner. also there is alot of useful information in the opening page under the faq category.

welcome to the board, by the way:D

Member since 8/30/02. Forget what the post count says!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oiling chain

Forgive my noobiness but this is my first bike and today as I was leaving the kawi dealer (I was getting my recall done) the service guy told me to make sure I greased the chain. Now what do I have to get to do this and how do I do it?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Dave. First ride your bike for a little while to warm up your chain so lube can be absorbed better into your chain. If you have the rear wheel stand use it to lift the tire off the ground so you can spin the tire. If you don't have a lift you will have to just keep rolling your bike forward or backwards until the whole chain it lubed. I use Maxium chain wax on my bike. It doesn't fling off on the bike very much at all. Use a piece of cardboard or something to keep the lube off you tire. Slip it between your tire and chain. Then just spray it along your chain until it is all lubed. Let it sit for 15 min before riding. I always run the chain through a rag in my hand to get off any excess. Holds the fling off to a minimum.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Originally posted by MikeO
Hi Dave. First ride your bike for a little while to warm up your chain so lube can be absorbed better into your chain. If you have the rear wheel stand use it to lift the tire off the ground so you can spin the tire. If you don't have a lift you will have to just keep rolling your bike forward or backwards until the whole chain it lubed. I use Maxium chain wax on my bike. It doesn't fling off on the bike very much at all. Use a piece of cardboard or something to keep the lube off you tire. Slip it between your tire and chain. Then just spray it along your chain until it is all lubed. Let it sit for 15 min before riding. I always run the chain through a rag in my hand to get off any excess. Holds the fling off to a minimum.
Exactly what he said. Just make sure NOT to do it with the engine running. People have and it's not pretty[:0].
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Originally posted by lee955i
Originally posted by MikeO
Exactly what he said. Just make sure NOT to do it with the engine running. People have and it's not pretty[:0].
Cheers, Lee S.
[:M74]

No offence, Lee. [:p]

I Use Maxima Chain Wax, and Idle the bike in 1st gear to lube the chain. The wheel does not spin fast enough to fling the lube off, and it makes the process much quicker. I suppose using oil or a thinner lube might get a bit messy.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I dont think so. It's on the tail's right side under the plastic covers and it got one tube going to the chain and another getting air pressure off the air box.
it's the zx600f, maybe it's a us - eu difference ?

1 - 20 of 335 Posts