Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so.. I got off my lazy ass this morning, went outside, rode a few laps around the neighborhood to get the bike warmed up and the chain warm, and cleaned/lubed it. Unfortunately, at this point in time, I do not have a rear stand. I just haven't been able to buy one yet. So in order to do chain maintenance, obviously I had to roll the bike back and forth on the pavement myself.. That's all fine and well, and I'll make do with what I have, but is there something I could do to prevent making such a mess? When I've had the shops lube my chain in the past, it just looks like a colored chain with no residue on the sprocket or the chain guard or the swingarm, etc. I highly doubt that's due to them cleaning up afterwards; I honestly think they just don't have any overspray or a better method than being able to turn the wheel without rolling it back and forth. I'm using the same lube that they use (BelRay SuperClean; leaves a white/blue film on the chain) and it's just so much messier. I did the best I could to clean the overspray that I had off, but some of it I just cannot get to.

How do you guys do this without making a mess? Is it the product, or the person applying it?

D'oh! I'm sorry about the spelling. I spelt for 3 hours last night. lol

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Ive heard of some guys holding a rag around the chain while they spray, kinda acts like a shield. I myself on the other hand have tried to keep mine clean but it tends to hit the chain and splatter no matter what.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
You use the straw thingy that comes with the chain lube, right? If you don't, that shit will get every where.

No matter how hard I try, I can never prevent the chain lube from getting on the rear wheel (not the tire itself). I don't have a stand either so I have to move the bike back and forth while I apply. I can prevent it from getting on the bike by wiping it off immediately but the shit always gets on the rear wheel.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
You use the straw thingy that comes with the chain lube, right? If you don't, that shit will get every where.

No matter how hard I try, I can never prevent the chain lube from getting on the rear wheel (not the tire itself). I don't have a stand either so I have to move the bike back and forth while I apply. I can prevent it from getting on the bike by wiping it off immediately but the shit always gets on the rear wheel.
Yes, I'm using the straw. I went a little overboard with the chain lube, lubing not only the innards, but tried to get both sides as well immitating the way my chain looked when other people have serviced it. I assume I did it correctly..

Maybe a wax based lubricant would be better for me?

·
Registered
447 Posts
i agree with carbone i use a card board to sheild the tire from the grease and shit but i got a rear stand its alot easier ...just spin the tire and spray..

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Buy a rear stand if overspray bothers you enough. Once you get one, it will pay for itself in no time. (Not really pay for itself, but the amount that it helps with everything that you do, you'll wonder why you didn't get one a long time ago.

--David

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not a matter of me not wanting to buy one or not thinking it's worth it, etc.. I want one. As a matter of fact, it's quite possibly the next thing on my list to buy. Money is the issue. I have all these things I want, and barely making ends meet with my new job.. lol. On top of that, I owe a fellow friend and rider a little bit of cash so that pushes things back even further ya know?

I find it hard to believe that a rear stand is going to completely eliminate getting lube all over everything else. I mean, it might be much easier because the wheel is spinning in place, but it's still going to go elsewhere unless I'm doing the wrong thing. Do you guys do both sides of the chain and the center too? That's how I've always seen it done, so I just assumed that is correct.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I used that teflon shit also, it kicks ass, a little pricy, but its worth it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I keep the cardboard inner tubes that paper towels are rolled around. When paper towel rolls are used up, I cut them in half with a razor blade and then use them as a spray shield when I lube the chain. Works great. When done, throw them out.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I don't use any form of sheilding, but then, I lube every link individually. It takes a bit longer, but I'm happier with the results.

The chainlube does it's best work inside the chain, and the only way it will get there is through the gaps between the rollers and pins. Spraying lube on the side of the chain doesn't do anything, apart from preventing rust.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
has anyone had problems with the Dupont in regard to chain life? I used this on my new RK chain and overaul my seals started to tear apart and leak within a few 1000 miles which kinda let me to wonder if the chain lube wasnt doing its job or the seals were just cheap. My old EK stock chain got almost 17-18 out of it using Silkolene Synthetic chain lube. Im gonna go back to the Silkolene again and see if it holds up better.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by southjersey636
has anyone had problems with the Dupont in regard to chain life? I used this on my new RK chain and overaul my seals started to tear apart and leak within a few 1000 miles which kinda let me to wonder if the chain lube wasnt doing its job or the seals were just cheap. My old EK stock chain got almost 17-18 out of it using Silkolene Synthetic chain lube. Im gonna go back to the Silkolene again and see if it holds up better.
It might be all of the Jersey Guido hairspray in the air up there that causes that stuff to break down :D

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL

It might be all of the Jersey Guido hairspray in the air up there that causes that stuff to break down :D
lmao just may be. Between the Guido hairspray and polution, even the chains cant take much abuse from this over polluted state.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
the dupont shit is pricey??? i cant get it here in canada, so grab a few cans whenever i am in the states. $5 a can at lowes, belray superclean is like $14 a can here for a slightly bigger can.

im using it on a EK x-rign chain right now, about 1500km with it so far and it still looks great, but i'll keep my eye on the seals.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
I don't lube the side plates...there's no point in it, and it just creates mess. Pop it up on the rear stand, make sure it's stable, put the kickstand up and start her up, click it into first and let the wheel spin at idle. Use the straw with the chain wax to aim, and spray between both side plates as the chain spins a couple revolutions...spray the inside of the chain (the top of the bottom section of chain) then the outside of the chain (top of top section). I spray one side on the seals between the plates for long enough to make sure I get 1 or 2 full revolutions, then spray the other side, then repeat on the top of the chain, then click it up into neutral and use a rag to wipe the excess off the side plates as the wheel slows to a stop. I also wipe off any overspray on the rear sprocket/swingarm area, then put the bike down and walk it to it's home and let it sit for about a half hour before I ride to make sure the wax has time to set. I don't really have overspray problems, and either way I'm aiming straight down when I spray the wax, so any overspray comes from the top part of the chain on the swingarm. That's easily cleaned by contact cleaner, or just by wiping it off when it's still wet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.